Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black lily seed

Posted by sorie6 6b ok. (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 17:24

How do you start these? A friend sent them seeds to me and I don't have a clue what to do with them!!
they are off her plants this year.
Thank you.

This post was edited by sorie6 on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 17:25

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black lily seed

What exactly do you mean by "black lily"? Do you know the botanical name? Unfortunately, dozens of plants are referred to as "lilies" that are not so 'black lily' is not very meaningful, especially if we are discussing proper propagation. Just for clarification, there are no real "black" lilies, although some have very dark red flowers :-)

If this is a true lily, like an Asiatic or oriental hybrid, they are rather easily grown from seed although this is not considered the fastest way to generate new plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing lilies from seed

o

I surmised it's the seeds that are black. Are they the bulbils that form between the stem and leaf axils on, say, a true tiger lily (lilium tigrinum lancifolium)? If so, they're falling naturally from the mother plant now so this is the right time to put them lightly under the soil where you want them to sprout.

o

I'm sorry I don't know the name it's what DF called them.
Thanks

o

Can you check with them as to the correct botanical name? Different seeds require different methods for germination and unless we can pin it down as to specific kind of lily (true lily versus common name lily), it is all just speculation.

o

I too have seeds from lilies i bought at a nursery. They fell from seed pods after the petals fell off. I'm confused because from what I've read they sound nothing like lily seeds. Anyone know what they are?

o

The attached link illustrates the seed pods and seeds of a true lily. It also explains how to grow them from seed. Anything that looks significantly different from this is probably not a true lily seed.

Bulbils - those little black berry-like nubs that are found on some lilies tucked in at the leaf axils - are not seeds but sort of baby bulbs. You can also plant them like you would plant a row of sweet peas and in a couple of years have full size bulbs. But not all lilies will produce bulbils - tiger lilies and many of the Asiatic hybrids are the most common sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing lilies from seed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here