Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant asiatic lilies in zone 4-5

Posted by highalttransplant z4CO (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 15, 06 at 19:52

I am totally ignorant when it comes to bulbs, so forgive me if this is a no brainer. I was thinking about planting some asiatic lilies ('Corrida'?) on the west side of the house, and wasn't sure if I should do it in the fall or the spring. Any tips on planting would be helpful. Also, what are your favorites in the peach/rust/creme colors (not the bright orange ones)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant asiatic lilies in zone 4-5

Fall is probably the best time to plant, but the best selection is typically found in the spring when dutch suppliers inundate the market with endless varieties. Either way, they'll do well regardless of when they're planted in fall or spring.

Planting is pretty easy. Just be sure to select a site that has good sun, good drainage, has some organic matter worked into the soil when you plant. Most bulbs go down 4-6 inches deep. The larger the bulb, the deeper it goes down vise versa.

Check out the webpage below to see a nice assortment of garden lilies in the color range you're thinking about.

Best of luck and happy fall or spring lily planting!

R

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lily Garden Peach Colored Asiatics

o
RE: When to plant asiatic lilies in zone 4-5

zone 4 here. You can plant Lilies in either fall or spring but you will get better first year growth by planting in the fall. Some may not flower the first year if you plant in spring. I don't think I have a favorite in your colors. But my favorite is the very dark red ones and the huge trumpets. A great Lily is "nippon" and is an ivory colored with a maroon border and yellow streaks with a 9" flower but only 16" tall. I believe only "DUTCH GARDENS" has it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here