Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting lilies ?? The correct way and when??

Posted by Lary1047 z5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 19:52

Hello everyone!!!

We live in Michigan in Zone 5. A number of years ago we built a bed of asiatic lilies and boy did they take off. Now the bed is overflowing and we would like to know the procedure of how and when to start transplanting. They are very close together and many varieties also. We did not plant them that close however the bed is filled now. We have many that bloom throughout the summer and just a mass of beautiful color and smells.

Please give us some suggestions, we do not want to do this transplant wrong.

Thanks Lary and Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting lilies ?? The correct way and when??

Oh boy. If the bed is full and you want to separate the lilies by color you have to do it when they are blooming or tie different colors of yarn on the stems to indicate color. If you really don't care you can do it now if the stems have died back. You are going to have way more lilies than you think if the bed is full. When they get crowded badly many bulbs don't come up and bloom. I find there is no stress on a blooming lily if you immediately take it to a new location. I just did it last summer and all finished blooming and bloomed well this year. Actually better as they weren't crowded anymore. Remember tiny bulblets will still be in the soil and can come up for three years or so amongst whatever you plant. We painted the house and all things had to be moved and some moved back so I am experienced with moving blooming bulbs. Normally you would do it in the early spring or fall but a crowded bed is a problem. It is a good idea to give them some bulb food when you transplant. There is no right way but remember to try and get the root and all if they are blooming. You will have lots of babies fall off so you can give them away or trade them or make some more beds and raise them. When you replant you will want clusters of three or five. You can use a triangle shape for planting.
tyshee@acsalaska.net let me know if I can help. This is my new email address. Not listed here yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here