Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftwood

What's the real scoop on Citronella?

leftwood
18 years ago

I have seen the Citronella lily listed as, Lilium citronella, Lilium auratum 'Citronella' and Lilium amabile luteum 'Citronella'. What is really correct?

Comments (9)

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

Probably all of them, meaning they are different lilies. Use the lily registry to find info on different lilies. It is maintained by the Royal Horticultural Society. It only lists lilies that are registered with them and also species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily registry

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Good question - I was wondering that too after a recent posting at Far North...

Edward McRae (in Lilies: A Guide for Growers and Collectors) refers to Lilium davidii having produced hybrids with various other species, resulting in many important breeding lines in today's lilies, e.g. "the Burgundy and Citronella strains (L. davidii x L. amabile)".
    Then later, the "Citronella Strain" is discussed under the heading "Asatic Strains of the 1960's and 1970's", and described as originally from crosses between L. davidii var. unicolor and L. amabile var. luteum; "pendant to outfacing golden yellows of exceptional form and beauty"; one introduction is was "Amber Gold" which has highly reflexed petals in the picture.
    So, I take it from all this, and the RHS listing, that it is incorrect to refer to "L. citronella", as though it is a species - am I right on that?

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

ABgardeneer, that is correct. I don't believe there is a species L. citronella as implied by the lower case c. L. auratum "Citronella" is a named clone of L. auratum. Of course this makes it confusing because the RHS is not very careful about disallowing the use of a name more than once. You don't have to browse through the registry very much to realize it is not uncommon for names to be repeated. I have always thought that the purpose of having a registry is so that a plant (iris, lily, daylily etc..) can be identified in commerce and not confused with other cultivars...

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

So, actually, I remain puzzled in light of McRae's information (as I was when I read it long ago)...what the heck do nurseries "mean" when they sell an asiatic hybrid simply called 'Citronella'? (McRae, in a fairly thorough treatment, doesn't mention a specific named variety called 'Citronella' - though, of course, he doesn't discuss every named variety.)

To elaborate, I understand that Lilium auratum 'Citronella' would be a selection of gold-band lily, that, perhaps, unfortunately, re-uses a name (depending which came first), and that Lilium amabile luteum 'Citronella' might really refer to a "Citronella Strain" hybrid involving that species (as referred to by McRae). Or, I should say, I think I understand these things.... Anyway, maybe I'm babbling, but I guess my question still stands.

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

The asiatic hybrid "Citronella" is a strain that was selected and named here in Oregon at the now defunct Oregon Bulb Farm (this is the OBF you often see in the registry). Because it is a strain, there can be some variation in the size and color (lemon yellow to gold) of the blooms. It is not a clone of 1 plant! According to B and D Lilies of Port Townsend, Washington, this group has been narrowed down to just a few of the most vigorous clones, implying there was more variation in the past. To tell the truth, I purchased a package of 3 Citronella several years ago and I couldn't tell any difference between them.

I can't really comment on the L. amabile luteum "Citronella" other than that Ed mentions it as being in the parentage of "Citronella" strain. If I make it to our regional meeting next month I can ask Ed McRae in person, he is always there. But I have to drive 200 miles round trip:( Anyway, I would think he would know if there was a selection of L. amabile luteum named "Citronella". Also, I don't see it in the registry under species. Are we all confused now LOL!

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To be sure, I've always thought Lilium citronella was very far fetched. But am "happy" to see I am not the only perplexed one here.

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

I guess a minor (and no doubt, excessively anal) point is that Mr. McRae didn't mention a selection of L. amabile var. luteum called 'Citronella' either (in the book, I mean). He only mentions the subspecies as I indicated it in the preceeding sentence (although, as you say, I'm sure he'd certainly know if there was such a selection!), and as you noted, the RHS registry doesn't mention such a selection either.

So, unless some more explanation comes along, I think I'll go back to assuming that both the usage of "L. citronella" and of L. amabile luteum "Citronella" are likely just a bit of nomenclatural sloppiness on the part of the plant industry...(not that it matters to much of anything - I'm just sort of interested in learning a bit more about botanical nomenclature...)
    Thanks,
    Lori

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

LOL I didn't intend it to sound like McRae attached "Citronella" to the species. I agree with you about the nomenclatural sloppiness out there. I think alot of it originates with the mail order catalogs. Many don't seem to give a hoot about botanical accuracy. And the Dutch grown bulbs that appear in the garden centers and box stores seldom if ever identify lilies as being a strain (eg Citronella, Pink Perfection, Golden Splendor etc). Best to keep yourself informed so you know what you are buying (if you care, some people don't).

• tyshee
    18 years ago

What is worse is a photo of one in the catalogue so I ordered it thinking it was what was pictured and received the oposite citronella which is really not much of a lily in my books, as it is simply like so many other lilies. That tells how much the distributors care.