Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darn...lilies thrown out!

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 22:34

I was scheduled to have surgery a few weeks ago. I was trying to finish up various loose ends around the yard, while I still could. I dug up some Lollipop Asiatic lilies that I decided did not look right mixed in with some hostas. (Without knowing exactly where I wanted to move them to.) Then it started to rain, suddenly and hard, so I put them in a garbage can lid, covered them with another lid, then slung it all under a bush to await better weather. Then it rained for 3 days. Every now and then I peeked at the bulbs and stems to make sure they were OK, promising I would give them a much better new homesoon. Then my surgery date arrived without an opportunity to finish anything else in the yard.

Then (with my mind on other things) I totally forgot about them! Its been 3 weeks since my surgery and I finally got out to do a little gardening today. Suddenly rememberedoh! The lilies! Went looking and they were gone. Asked my husband if he remembered seeing them. Uh-ohHe had been trying to help me out and cleaned up the yard. Carefully stacked the empty pots in the garage and saved the plant tags for my files. Put all the "waste" in the landscape pickup binwhich was picked up a week ago. Cant blame him. Since I normally use garbage can lids in the yard for collecting weeds as I pull them, he thought I had meant to throw them out!

Notes to self

1) Dont dig up what you dont have an IMMEDIATE home for!
2) Dont use garbage can lids for anything you want to keep!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darn...lilies thrown out!

I think your handling it quite well. I think I would have started crying. I will be digging a few of mine up as soon as I finish with the new rose bed. That is, if it would stop raining every other freaking day.

o
RE: Darn...lilies thrown out!

We're crying for rain in NorCal and your complaining of too much. It will be 100 today and possibly for a few days. My lilies are kept in pots because of poor drainage so they do not do well. Trying to work up the courage to find a spot in the yard this yr.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here