Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about orientals...

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 11, 06 at 0:08

I've noticed my Asiatics seem to reproduce rather readily. None of my Orientals have though, and I've had them for 3 years. Do Orientals ever have little "bulblets"?

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about orientals...

I'm glad you asked this, Deanna, as I have the same question. I noticed these bulbils/bulbets at the base of many of my lilies (and not sure if they are on my asiatics or orientals, as I've lost the tags), and am not sure if I need to "do anything" about them (take off, replant to make more lilies?) Thanks for asking for us. Phyl

o

My orientals don't multiply with the bulblets like asiatics. The bulbs do seem to occasionally multiply, but not at the top of the stems like several of my asiatics. I know you can do scaling to increase them. Phyl, it isn't necessary to do anything to them, but you probably will want to divide them every 3 years or so to give them space. I like to leave them alone til there are several blooming size, then divide in fall when the stems are dying back a bit & replant.

o

If only Orientals multiplied the way Asiatics do, perhaps they'd be less expensive! Aren't Asiatics amazing? Even the tiny stem bulbs at ground level handle winter just fine with no cover, and sprout in the spring. I dig and divide Asiatics every two or three years because they get too crowded. All those Asiatic stem bulbs produce new small plants, which get so crowded that none of the plants can perform well. Oh, and they split their main bulb, too.

Orientals are different. In my experience, they only very rarely make stem bulbs. They multiply by splitting their bulb. You can tell when they have done that because each bulb produces a stem. If they are happy with their location, culture and climate, they can double every year, but I've found them to be slower than that. I dig and divide Orientals only every three to four years, depending on how crowded they get. I'm careful when digging to keep as much of the root system intact as possible, since they need those to get established quickly.

Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here