Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrel_girl

lillies and cats

squirrel_girl
16 years ago

I am aware that Lillies are lethal to cats. Since my little fuzz boy gardens with me, I'm avoiding planting lillies. As the FAQ's mention, many plants are called lillies or listed in the lillium family dispite not being true lillies. I've searched cat websites and found dozens of lists of plants. These lists often contradict each other or appear to be written by people who do not know plants (e.g., lumping day lillies in with regular lillies).

I don't let my cat eat anything but catnip and grass, but he is curious and will sometimes lick or nibble a plant before I notice what he is up to. One bite of any other garden plant won't do terrible damage, but one bite of a true lilly could.

Is there a way to tell from the plant label if a plant is a true lilly? I'm most worried about purchasing a true lilly without realizing it. Also, how do I tell if a bulb is a true lilly or not? He is a sneaky bulb licking freak. I have to watch him like a hawk around them.

Thank you. I realize, you are not cat experts, but I'm hoping with some extra lilly expertise, I can make my garden safer for him and add some safe "non-lillies" to my garden.

Comments (9)

• alina_1
    16 years ago

My cat never licked nor ate any of my Lilies for some reason. Maybe, they are smarter than we think? He is also very curious and loves to participate in planting, watering, etc. I have 40+ Lilies.
    You can find lots of info and pictures of true Lilies on this web site.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

I also have cats and probably 40 to 50 lilies. My cats, kittens included have never shown any interest in my lilies. They love stalking each other under the daylilies though.

• luigie822
    16 years ago

I had no idea that lilies are lethal to cats. I've had cats all my life and lilies for 4 years now. I let my cat outside every so often and all she's interested in eating is grass. The most attention she gives my lilies is by using their stems to hide behind; otherwise she pays them no mind.

If your cat's interest is peaked by them, you may want to put the bulbs in a spot he can't access (a box, or a bag hanging from the ceiling in the basement or a closet). If it's the lily stems/leaves you're concerned about, maybe put up a 2-3' fence or just keep a good eye on him when he's outside. Otherwise if it's still a problem, you may want to consider nixing lilies all together. I know I wouldn't jeopardize my kitty's health for lilies.

Hopefully he'll lose interest in them soon! Good luck.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

This is far more of an issue with potted lilies sold as gift or temporary houseplants and cats that are restricted to indoors. Cats by nature are inquisitive and those limited to indoors will often do damage to houseplants in a quest for natural roughage and to keep themselves entertained in that restricted setting. Lilies are only one of any number of common garden plants that can be toxic to our pets, but fortunately most pets are smart enough not to mess with them. I might be more worried about kittens or small puppies, but an adult cat exposed to lilies growing in a garden situation (not indoors) should be fine - I'm sure you'd get hundreds of responses similar to those already posted from other gardening cat owners that grow lilies without fear, including myself.

It's not all-inclusive, but if the plant/bulb is correctly labeled, it will give the botanical name "lilium xyz" - the genus 'lilium' will be indicative of a true lily.

• cnid
    16 years ago

Over the years, I have had many cats who all went outdoors, and hundreds of lilies of all kinds (asiatic, species, oriental, and day lilies, callas, etc.) in the garden. I have had no problems. If anything, the lilies are in danger from the cats playing in the lily jungle.

I have had cats who will eat anything, including having a taste of the lily plants or a sniff of the bulbs when I am planting (never any interest there). I have seen one chew on a day lily near the house. No problems.

I have had callas indoors and all kinds of baby plants from seeds that they just ignore. The only danger there is that they might want to use the soil as a litter box.

If you are worried about your cat licking a bulb, you might try Ropel - non-toxic spray that tastes really bad (I tasted it!) - even my squirrels only needed to try that once to leave everything alone.

This is really interesting - I have never heard of this. I have heard that daffodils are toxic to... cats? people? but they just show no interest in them at all so I have planted lots. Can't imagine life without cats AND lilies!

• Nancy
    16 years ago

I have rather found that it is my lilies that are in danger from my cats. Seems like just when a "special" lily is just about to bloom, the cats will be playing & break off the bloom. In all the years I've had cats & lilies, never have I seen a cat try to snack on one.

• Tinkerbel
    16 years ago

I had a stargazer growing on my windowsill and none of the cats even bothered with it, however the lucky bamboo is a very different story lol
    Cannas and callas are not true lillies. True lillies will have lillium somewhere on the tag.

• sambal
    16 years ago

I must have freaky bulb cats, too because over the years, I've had, and still have cats who love to lick any bulbs that have been shipped to me, including lilies. I think it is some chemical they put on the bulbs that drives the cats crazy. Also have many lilies in containers and in the garden and if they lick them or bite on a leaf, etc., it has never caused any problem. They do however, love to include the lily patch in their 'jungle', and I've never noiticed any damage to the plants. I agree, that cats, and other critters, seem to innately know what is toxic to them.
    Grow your lilies without fear.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Gardengal is right, this is more of a problem with indoor only cats and potted gift lilies such as Easter lilies.

Cats have died, from kidney failure, it is a real issue rather than an urban legend like poinsettia toxicity.

Outdoor cats usually have access to grass and leave lilies alone.

If you have indoor only cats, provide them with cat grass occasionally and you should be fine.