Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feed lilies in the fall?

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 14, 06 at 4:29

I've been growing Casablanca and speciosum rubra and some kind of tall "easter lily"-looking lily for several years but have never done much with them. This year they declined noticeably in quality and bloom. So I figure it's time for me to get serious about this lily-growing business.

I know about good drainage and sun (can there be too much sun?) and not cutting them back til brown. But I don't know much about feeding them.

Should I feed them now? I was reading an earlier post that mentioned bloodmeal and bonemeal. I have both but don't know when to apply them, nor how much. Does one also feed the lily in early spring with some kind of balanced fertilizer? More than once in the spring? During the summer?

Or if my lilies are declining, would I be better off just getting new big and healthy bulbs?

Thanks,
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feed lilies in the fall?

If you have multiple stems, it might be time to dig them up this fall and divide the bulbs. Lilies that have been growing in the same spot for a number of years and have typically done well until this past summer usually is a signal that the entire 'system' is congested below and each individual bulb will require it's own space and resources to perform well.

There's really no need to supply lilies any fertilizer at this time of year because it really isn't in active growth.

I typically fertilize with a granular 5-10-10 fertilizer when the first come up in the spring and another application just before they flower. I also top dress my beds in fall or winter with compost and mulch, which adds to the nutrients my lilies receive.

I hope this helps a bit. Visit the site below for more info!

Cheers,

Riz

Here is a link that might be useful: North American Lily Society

o
RE: Feed lilies in the fall?

Thank you, Riz. Yes, that is very helpful and informative.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here