Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hybrid lillies losing leaves and petals

Posted by Gardening_Enthusiast none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 6:44

to my immense dismay my week old hybrids have almost lost all its pink deliciously fragrant petals. the petals felt dry and crumbly to the touch and the leaves seem to just want to drop off.

when bought a wk ago, the potted plant was shining with health and carried its own weight with 5-6 large luscious blooms. now it's a shadow of what it was. is it because i was too eager to repot it into a larger pot and stressed it out.

we in sydney are experiencing a very dry and warm spring and i have been watering it every 2nd day since it was bought.

could someone please advise what i have done wrong.

much appreciated.

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hybrid lillies losing leaves and petals

First thing - stop watering. A lily bulb is largely a "self contained" unit. Too much water and the bulb will rot. Each individual bloom on a lily only lasts for only so many days. If you bought it in full bloom, it may well just be ending its blooming period.

o

Many many thanks, Duluthinbloomz4. Your advise is weighed in gold.

One other question if I may. If the plant is ending its blooming period, how do I know that it really truly is. If it is then what do I do with it. Should I remove it out of the pot and preserve the bulbs somehow or let it stay in the pot. If I do let it stay in the pot, do I continue to water (but not too regularly) the dried remains just so the bulbs remain alive until the next blooming cycle.

Once again your response will be highly valued.

Cheers.

o

It's natural, it's what lilies do. They only bloom once a season. Let it dry out and eventually drop all its leaves. You'll be left with a stem that will turn yellow/brown and woody. Then, you can cut the stem down, lift the bulb and evaluate its condition. Then I would ask a local greenhouse or nursery about how to take care of it after that.

That's about all I can advise since lilies growing in Australia are likely treated much differently than here in Minnesota where they're left in the ground all year around. We have the lengthy cold period the bulb needs to replenish itself for the next season. Trying to grow them as a house plant will also likely lead to disappointment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here