Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how deep to plant martagon lilies

Posted by jeannette_wi z4WI (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 9:04

I just received an order of martagon lilies but it didn't come with planting directions. How deep do you plant them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how deep to plant martagon lilies

I wasn't able to find any specific planting depth for martagons. I think when I planted mine I followed the "3 times the height of the bulb" rule of thumb. If you have a two inch bulb it should be covered with 6 inches of soil. Remember that martagons often sulk for a year after planting. You may get only the basal whorled leaves showing next spring, you may not see any growth at all until the following spring. Martagons are really a test of your faith.

o

FYI, planting depth, unless otherwise noted, is from the soil surface to the base of the bulb (or bottom of the hole). Planting deeper than is recommended is no big deal, as long as there is still drainage and good soil in that depth of soil. Six inches or eight inches will not make a difference. Remember also, that martagons do not have stem roots. All roots are from the base of the bulb. Consequently, it is more important with these lilies (compared with Asiatic and Trumpets) that good soil is below the bulb.

o

Hi!

What type of soil do you plant bulbs in and should I add bonemeal? Also wondering about amount of sun needed for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here