Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pandy_gw

Another 'sun' question..

pandy
17 years ago

Hi all,

Ok..in zone 9b/10..would lilies grow up against the north side of the house? From about Sept to March there is no direct sun..after that, welllll..this IS s.florida :) I grow lots of roses and some clematis and was wondering about tucking some lilies with the climbing roses on that side of my house. Thanks.

Mari

Comments (3)

• hld6
    17 years ago

Hi Mari,
    If you can grow roses you can grow most lilies. They may have a few less blooms and get a little leggy (depending upon the variety) but will otherwise be OK.

Your problem in Florida will be the lack of a cold (vernalization) period in the winter. Without it the lilies won't sprout in the spring. There are two solutions, treat lilies as annuals, and buy new bulbs in the Spring each year (these have been pre-cooled) or dig your lilies up in the Fall and refrigerate. It's the reverse of the situation in colder zones with non winter hardy bulbs such as cannas and gladiolas. Only we have to dig them up and store them over the winter to keep them warm.

-Helen

• pandy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Helen,

Im actually hoping to keep them in the ground...Im trying an experiment here...Im in a microclimate..actually west of miami in the agricultural area where we get 10 degrees cooler in the winter and have a light frost every year. We also usually have at least a solid month where our night temps are in the 40s. Since this spot is in a raised bed on the north side im thinking it might get abit cooler than the ground.

Mari

• hld6
    17 years ago

Mari,
    Generally you need about 6 weeks of consistently cool weather (in the 40's) though a month would probably work out OK. But, how warm are your day temperatures when its in the 40s at night?

But, I think an experiment is great! Different types of lilies require different amounts of vernalization and its hard to find anything definitive on the topic. I'd just get inexpensive bulbs in a few types, Longiflorum, Asiatic, Oriental, and Trumpet, plant them and see if any of them work out.

It's my understanding that Lilium Formosanum (formosa lily) doesn't require a vernalization period (though I wouldn't have direct experience since mine have a winter). It can be invasive in some climates. The USDA plants profile for it shows it living in Florida and Alabama. Its really very pretty and would look good with roses. It has long slender white trumpets, like an exagerated easter lily, and is scented. It comes in a tall (6' form) a short "v. pricei" form. So as long as you have a garden that won't allow it to escape (it self seeds and multiplies by offsets) this could be a good choice for you this spring if your experiment doesn't work out. Or, for other warmer parts of your yard.

-Helen

If you remember to, you should post the results of your experiment next spring. I'm sure the other warm climate lily forum members would be interested in your results.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA plant profile - formosa lily

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals