Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you interplant between Asiatics & Orientals?

Posted by brit5467 VA coast 7/8 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 12:22

Need something to compensate for when theyre done blooming but still have stalks. Especially at the end of the season when I have big patches of ugly dying stalks.

Something that can compete with the shade the lily foliage creates because my plants are 5 tall and foliage is very lush. Something that might start blooming anytime, but want it to continue into fall. And preferably something tall.

Any suggestions? (Zone 7/8 on VA east coast near beach HOT & HUMID but not much rain)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you interplant between Asiatics & Orientals?

I actually fit in lilies anywhere in my garden among other plants, be it perennials, other bulbs or shrubs. In fact, I just insert a bulb anywhere I can insert my trowel. :-D
I have lilies of all heights from 10" to 7' among my shrubs and perennials.

I got some tall lilies between my hedge and hydrangea 'Annabelle'. You can plant them by some tall ornamental grass.
I like them near shorter plants too to make the lilies stand out.

o

Thanks ! I'm mainly looking for names of plants, 18" to 36", that are colorful. Victoria Salvia has done well in other areas but not tried around lilies. Something purple or blue, deep red or burgandy?? Anything but more orange and yellow :o) Any ideas??

My whole garden is wide open now because I've dug everything up due to overcrowding, including lilies. So I'm open for suggestions.

o

Try posting your question on the Perennials site. Someone there can likely recommend some plants to grow with your lilies.

o

Ideas from my garden

asters: still short when the lilies bloom, will get tall enough to cover the browning stems. Asters can be floppy, though, so might need to stake or support them with more than just the lily stems doing the job.

Dahlias, ditto. I find I can use the same stake I used for the tall lilies, just move the twist-tie over to the dahlia stem.

A lucky find: I grew a Rozanne geranium, and found it twined in and out of all the plants. I wrapped a tendril around a lily stem and let it grow up! Blue flowers, a nice change from lily colors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here