Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asiatic Lilies: What do seeds look like & how do you grow them?

Posted by marbree z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 3, 06 at 12:34

Hi

I have an Asiatic Lily with a seed pod on it. The parent plant is starting to yellow and the seed pod is turning purple. I've never done these before and so I don't know what to expect.

1. What are the fully developed seed pods and seeds supposed to look like?

2. How do you grow the seeds?

I know that they will take many years until they bloom. It's a cross with my old bright yellow and a pale pink with dark pink stripes.

3. Can I expect something nice from this cross?

The pollen isn't from one of my plants, so I want to try to do them right.

Thanks

Marbree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asiatic Lilies: What do seeds look like & how do you grow the

Well welcome to mystery land. I've cross pollenated my own Lilies before and gotten some real ugly looking things and some real nice ones. Most have been done before. The seeds can be removed and planted as soon as the pod starts to get "crunchy" or hard. This may require a daily check otherwise it may fall and split before you get them. Seems this happened on a windy night all too often to me so now I put a baggie around it. The seed color varies. I've had black, green, yellow and shades of those, however it doesn't seem to matter much if i'm a little too early or late. Mine have never bloomed the first year, may bloom some the 2nd and full size plants by the 4th year from seeds. There is no gaurantee the new color will stay that way thru coming generations. If you are trying to get a brand new variety like I am it seems very difficult. I thought I had one 9 years ago. I crossed a dark yellow with a Stargazer and got a Lily with a dark yellow base and a light pink brush with dark pink spots. It resembled "TOM PUCE" but with spots. After 3 generations of it I send it in and found someone had done it before. You can expect a surprise. I've planted the seeds inside (after 3 weeks in freezer) and let them grow all winter. And I've just let them lay on the ground all winter. They grow either way. Lilies are not very fussy about it. My current cross involves Lilium "NEGRE" (a very dark red) and "CASABLANCA". We'll see what I get. Take the seeds and plant a few in various ways just to be sure. GOOD LUCK to you. And you can name it LILIUM "MARBREE".

o

Hi,
Try this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily from seed

o

Thank you both for the advice, it was very helpful, I will try to save the seeds for the spring and see if I can do it.

Just a note, though, on the link (Absolutely Wonderful!!) they say to use captan, but on the rose forums they suggest using 10-15% commercial hydrogen peroxide solution in water (1 tablespoon store bought hydrogen peroxide per 1 cup of water). It does help to prevent dampoff in roses.

Marbree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here