Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LA hybrids in the desert?

Posted by tugbrethil z 9, Phoenix, AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 13:07

I have had good luck growing Asiatic lilies here in the oven of North America, and L. longiflorum even does well enough in the right soil and microclimate, but I have had a hard time getting sensible info on how the LA hybrids do in really hot climates. The growers all tell me things like "they do fine here" (coastal California) or "they love them in Georgia". I would like something to help me decide where and how to plant them here. Info from areas with seriously hot summers, say central Florida, southwest Texas, southern Arizona, southeastern California, even eastern Oregon would be extremely welcome! Thank you! : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LA hybrids in the desert?

Aww, c'mon, hasn't anyone tried to grow these in a hot climate?! How about the southern Central Valley of California? Or a little inland from the Gulf Coast? Anywhere? Please help! : )

o

I am following you around :) I would like to know the answers too. You might should post in each region you mentioned above and see what people say? Please keep me informed. Thanks!

o

Hey there, stomp! Check out the response from the folks in the lower Rio Grande Valley on the Texas Gardening forum ("LA lilies in hot climates?") Mostly they recommend them on the strength of the fact that Easter lilies work there, 'though one seems to have gotten some LA's by accident--and they're working out! Will provide more info as available. : ])

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here