Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azngrnthumbs

Digging & Dividing your lily bulbs!!!

azngrnthumbs
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

My recent post on my blog for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer demonstrates digging and dividing lily bulbs!

Please have a look if you've ever wanted to dig, divide and propagate your lilies, but have always been afraid to.

Cheers,

Riz

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Gardens Blog: Seattle P-I

Comments (18)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

Thanks! I just divided some; wish I'd seen your post first. it was confusing with all the little bulblets. Now I know what I saw was normal. I'm saving your link for future reference.

• alina_1
    17 years ago

Excellent tutorial, Riz! Pictures are really helpful for newbies. Thanks!

• alina_1
    17 years ago

Riz,
    Could you please tell me what is this Orienpet from your page?
    TIA,
    Alina.

• azngrnthumbs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is L. x 'Contrast'

{{gwi:2055}}

I'm waiting for this one to die down so I can dig it because it's not growing in a good location-even though it flowered so beautifully this summer.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Riz

• alina_1
    17 years ago

Thanks Riz, it is stunning! My wish list is growing :)

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

I just stopped by to look for some Lily help and found the great tutorial by Riz. I'm an orchid grower also and enjoyed the great pics.
    I was cleaning up my beds outdoors today and by accident pulled up a huge clump of lilies which I had no idea what to do with. It was obvious they needed dividing but I was afraid to plant without checking here first.
    These lilies were huge, over 10 ft tall and I tried to break off the dead stalks and yanked and up they came.
    Looks like your photo of a large, garlic type ball (approx. the size of a head of lettuce). Very large, garlic like cloves all pressed together. Root coming out both ends (I think). Do I separate those cloves and plant? I left the whole ball outside to dry. Bad idea?
    Jane

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Try not to loosen the scales of the bulbs(unless you want to scale them for propagation, another post). You want to separate the bulbs. It's best to get them back in the ground as soon as possible, though most lilies are quite resilient. If you really can't wiggle them apart, try washing the dirt off with the garden hose. When a clump is really congested it does take some time and patience to pull the bulbs apart. Just take your time at it. Sounds as though you'll have lots of babies to plant and share.

• appletreasure
    16 years ago

Riz I have looked for your article on lilies but have not been able to find it?
    Would you be able to post it here or give me bay steps to find it? Thanks.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

appletreasure, go to the link in riz's post above and click on it. This will take you to her blog. Look for the calendar in the center of the page. Under that there is a window that says search by date. Click on the side and scroll till you see Oct. 2006. Click on that and go. The lily post is I believe the 2nd entry.

• appletreasure
    16 years ago

Riz I have looked for your article on lilies but have not been able to find it?
    Would you be able to post it here or give me bay steps to find it? Thanks.

• azngrnthumbs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Try this link! Scroll down to the second posting.

Happy digging!

R

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Chores: Digging and Dividing Lilies

• deewah
    15 years ago

Hi,

I just read your article on dividing bulbs. I loved it! Will you have any baby bulbs that you would like to get rid of this year?

• ghoghunter
    15 years ago

Yes it was great. I had been planning to post a question about this very topic. I have some really huge Asiatic lillies and I want to puct some in a new garden bed I'm making. This really helped.
    Joann

• Mystery_Gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Riz:

Very nice blog, you obviously put a lot of time and effort into each entry. I really like the diversity and colour Lovely bokeh on your photos, do you take the pictures yourself?

I am just starting to get lily crazy, I ordered some by mail for the very first time.

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• azngrnthumbs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so glad people are still visiting that entry and reading my blog!

MG: Glad to hear that you're getting the lily bug. There are some great growers up there! Yes, I've taken almost all the photos I post on my blog. If you'd like to see more photos, I have a Flickr page you all might enjoy!

Happy Digging and Dividing!

Riz

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr Photo Page

• Mystery_Gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Riz:

Wow, lots of nice plants. I really liked Eucomis Tugela Ruby and Eucomis Oakhurst (I am a bit of a bulb freak;-)

I am still looking for the right web photo / website solution (read cheap). I FTP my photos onto our cable providers servers as it is free but there is not enough room per account.

Again, keep up the good work.

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

mystery_gardener, how about Picasa? That is free. I have a friend who is a professional photographer and that is the site host she uses. I set up an account myself but have not put much on it yet.

• lila888
    15 years ago

I hope this help. Look under Oct. 2006 blog.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES