Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdh1994

dividing asiatic lilly

rdh1994
17 years ago

I have a couple Asiatic lillies I would like to divide and transplant. I don't remember which one it is but it's a beautiful blood red and this year it was it's 3rd year I think since planting and it's gotten alot bigger. This lilly also seems to keep uncovering it's base from under the soil. We keep covering it up each year, but it keeps almost uprooting itself. Is this normal?

How and when do I go about dividing and transplanting some of this lilly?

Lora

Comments (8)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Lilies form bulblets along the portion of stem that's undergound. What you are probably seeing is some of the baby bulbs along the stem near the surface of the soil. Lily bulbs will actually pull themselves deeper into the soil as they grow. If you want to divide them, now is a good time. When replanting, the bulbs should be planted at a depth 2 to 3 times the height of the bulb. Hope this helps.

• rdh1994
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How do I divide them exactly? Just take a shovel and cut a section out and replant it like a perennial?

Lora

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

No, you want to dig down around and try to get under the clump and lift it. Then shake off the soil and separate the bulbs gently. You want to be careful not to cut into or spear the bulbs. If the clump is really large (and heavy) you may have to work in sections. It can be a little tricky because the stem may not always come up directly above the bulb. Just go slowly, brush a little soil away at a time. I like to use a digging fork as it loosens the soil a bit more than a shovel. If yours have only been in the ground 3 years it shouldn't be too big a chore. When you replant give each bulb at least 6 inches (or more) of space around it. Each bulb will form a new lily stem. There will probably be quite a few babies along the stem. They can also be replanted but not as deep as the mother bulbs. Or you can share those with friends. It will usually take 2 or 3 years for the babies to reach blooming size. Some lilies are more vigorous than others . After replanting you should water well and then forget about them till spring. It's helpful to mix compost into the planting hole. If you want, you can also mix a little bonemeal into the soil below the bulb. Be sure it is not touching the bulb or roots directly. Hope this helps.

• rdh1994
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I understand. So I dig the whole thing up and then replant what I want in the same space and transplant the others. It's a shame to dig the whole thing up just to put a little of it someplace else but if it's got to be done, it's got to be done. Thanks for your help!

Lora

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

You've got it. When you get mutiple stems going and it starts looking congested on top it probably is crowded below too. You also have less air circulation which can lead to botrytis(sp)

• aristipius09_aol_com
    12 years ago

I was wondering if transplanting in the spring is possible---Ive let mine grow for the past few years and now its a large mass.

• jpndskiles_cfu_net
    12 years ago

I had to dig up several different asiatic lilies to make way for a new retaining wall we are putting in. The lilies have already bloomed - i didnt cut off any of the stem, but just dug them up and put them in a container. I want to replant them in the same spot when the wall is finished, but they may have to be there 2 wks or so. Will they keep? How should i care for them? Should i go ahead and cut off the existing stem? I have more to dig up - what should i do with them?

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

If you are careful and can pot them without disturbing the clump or roots to much you should be ok doing what you did with the first ones. Don't cut the stems off as long as they are green. They are feeding the bulbs for next year. I would leave them in the pots till the stems yellow and then replant them in their permanent home this fall.