Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving Casa Blanca

Posted by susanlynne48 z7a-OKC (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 05 at 15:09

Hi, everyone. I have several asiatics, orientals, formosanum, cardiocrinum, that I grow, but when I first began growing several years ago, I made a boo boo and planted a Casa Blanca in the front garden, which has since grown up around it. I really need to move it to a more "prominent" location where it will get more sun, and I can actually "see" it. I always smell it. The fragrance is undeniably sweet.

Now it's fall and everything is dying back around it, and I wondered if now would be a good time to dig it up. I'm afraid if I wait until spring, I won't have the stalk to remind me of the location.

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving Casa Blanca

Just dig down around it and lift the whole thing with the soil around the roots and poke it back in where you want it. Give it a drink to encourage the roots into the new soil. Not much different from moving any perennial in the fall. Just be careful you don't slice into the bulb. I just hate the sound of that "crunch"!

o

Okay, will make the attempt. I have always heard that you should dig at least 8-12" away from the stem because the bulb may not be directly under the stem?? Is this sound advice?

Susan

o

Yes, dig a little ways out from the stem. If the stem accidently breaks off, don't worry. Just go ahead and replant the bulb and mark where it is.

o

Oh this well be great cause you can give the new spot lots of new soil with new nutrients for a great bloom next year. I would think Vitamine B1 would also be a good idea.
Good luck I hope it goes well for you

o

Thanks, Mysticmoon. B1 - is that a Schultz product? Seems I've heard of it, but it's been awhile ago.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here