Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Casa Blanca Lily...Lily Leaf Beetle....throw it away?

Hi,

I have had this lily for about 5 years. It wasn't too bad the first three, and the fourth I did a lot of picking and monitoring and kept it manageable. This year, I was too busy to coddle that plant and what a mess the foliage was from the Red Lily Leaf Beetle. I am an organic gardener, and do not even want to use some of the 'natural' sprays. I tried my own concoction which wasn't very effective. The only thing that helps is picking them off daily. Which I just don't want to do any more.

So I am cringing, but getting ready to pull it out and throw it away. Today I had the thought, I wonder if I could dig up the bulbs, dry them, store them, would that help? I would probably need to let them sit out a season out of the ground to be free of the beetle. I hope. I have heard they will sometimes use Solomon's Seal as an alternate host, which I have a few stands of. I hope that won't keep them in the garden.

Just thought I would check in here first, to see if anyone else has solved this problem, before I rip them out and throw away.

pm2

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County