Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Planting damaged potted lilies into a permanent location

Planting damaged potted lilies into a permanent location

Last spring I bought a bunch of lilies, mostly orientals, on sale. They were a little dry, and sprouted, though only a few inches. I opted to pot most of them, to keep them going, as I planned to put them in large planters with annuals, and it was too early in the season to plant out my planters.

Unfortunately, while out of town, squirrels dug up the pots, tossed them around, and took bites out of some, and shredded others into scales. I opted not to bother to plant the stressed bulbs in the garden, or give them prime spots in my big planters, but nurse them along in the pots (which I hung up out of reach after that). I reburied even the scales, hoping to get something eventually. They are: Muscadet (white with red dots), Cobra (solid red), and Casa Blanca. With the toss around, I no longer know which is which.

None grew over a foot tall. A few had some wizened anemic buds.

Am I better off overwintering them in the pots? When I've done that, I bury the pot in the vegetable garden, and cover with compost and mulch after it gets cold. I've done this a lot, and all have survived. I would then try to replant in the spring.

Or, have they done all the recovering they can, and I should plant them in the garden?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County