Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buggyia

Getting rid of Tiger Lilies

buggyIA
18 years ago

We moved into our new house that has basically no landscaping except this huge patch of Tiger Lilies that takes up about a 5'X10' section of our back yard. It looks terrible! There has to be about 150 to 200 bulbs in that section. Is there any way to kill them without having to dig them all up? Thanks for your help!!

Comments (15)

• Joeypack
    18 years ago

Whyu would you not want these? They are so beautiful! You can always trade them. If you want to get rid of any, email me. Joey

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Yes - I would either dig them up and offer them to other gardeners who would love to have them, or put an ad at a local garden center, grocery store, newspaper, a place where gardening clubs meet - often there is a lily or daylily club, that would come and dig them up in return for keeping the bulbs themselves.

Susan

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

If these are what you want to remove, I would love to have them - in fact a lot of people would love to have them. It took me years to grow them from tiny bulbils and build up a collection. They are gorgeous in summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger Lilies

• mtgirl
    18 years ago

I sure would be glad for some also and would trade or pay shipping

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago

I would love to have some too. Even if you tried to kill them all you would succeed in is killing the fans the roots would keep growing so you would still have to dig them up in the end. Soak the area and use a pitch fork style garden tool to lift out all the root system. Then Trade away.
    Ask for postage or for plants you want instead....
    Can you keep us all in mind please?

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    18 years ago

Are you talking about bulb lilies or the orange wild daylilies? A huge stand of the bulb lilies (such as shown in Pitimpanai's link) would be fabulous.

If it was the orange daylily that would be less fabulous...as Mysticmoon says, you have to keep digging them. I have an area I cleared earlier this year (the daylilies). Baby fans keep popping up. I was expecting this, though. Periodically I soak the ground and go in with a skinny tool and uproot them. Eventually I will locate and remove all the tiny tubers.

I wouldn't do a major overplanting in this area for a year if it IS a stand of daylilies you are removing. If it is bulb lilies I think a stray one or two would not be that hard to get out later.

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago

linnea56 if you keep having babies pass them around for postage lol... I bet you will find new homes for them.

• candisu
    16 years ago

I also have a TON of these in my back yard and it's so overgrown that it just looks ugly now. I am also trying to figure out how far down I have to dig in order to get them out. I will definitely give them away to people that want them because I know they can be very pretty. I am in no way experienced with gardening (I think the last time I planted something it was in 5th grade for Mother's Day), but I fully intend to at least learn how to make that area look better.

• nanny56
    16 years ago

OOOO, I would love some, IF they lily bulbs. Not interested in any orange DAYLILY though.

• ering2121_gmail_com
    12 years ago

you can put outdoor carpet over them with a loads of dirt on top then take dirt and carpet off later hopefully their gone

• colcol
    12 years ago

If you are still willing to dig, pack, and mail some, I would be very happy for some and would most definately reimburse you for postage or pay postage before you mail them. Or I can offer iris for trade if you are interested.

• colcol
    12 years ago

If you are still willing to dig, pack, and mail some, I would be very happy for some and would most definately reimburse you for postage or pay postage before you mail them. Or I can offer iris for trade if you are interested.

• kprp
    12 years ago

This lily carries disease, I'd be careful about filling up my yard with them if you have other lilies.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Put them on Craig's List, people will come dig them from you.

• grullablue
    12 years ago

I would love to see a pic! Do you have one?

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz