Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
save my peace lily

Posted by annahendricksen (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 1, 08 at 18:13

I'm ashamed... my peace lily has suffered greatly. ever since i moved from chicago to minneapolis it's growth has dwindled, but the most damage is from my new cat. she has discovered that laying on top of the plant is the most comfortable spot in the house. i've tried to prop up the stems that her 4# body has bent. i don't think there is a way to save those leaves but can i try to re-leaf and re-flower my plant. if i cut off the leaves, will they grow back? help. this is a pretty sentimental plant to me because i received it after my grandfather passed away and i love it very much.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: save my peace lily

Hi Anna-
First off- I would make your cat a better place to lay and protect the plant somehow.
I would guess that you could cut off the damaged leaves with no harm to the plant- I have seen these plants "revitalized" by chopping off all of the foliage and then putting under a bit stronger light and fertilized. New growth comes back healthy and lush.
Fertilizing at this time of the year with the days growing shorter is something I do not do- indoors or out... So that is your call to make.
If the kitty has been using the potted plant for something other than sleeping in- I would re-pot the plant in new soil and wash the roots well.
I do hope you will enjoy living in Minneapolis- Stop by the MN Forum some time too!

Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here