Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emerald26_gw

Plant Lilies in a shady patio in Zone 9?

emerald26
15 years ago

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum as well as new to gardening (I am in Pasadena, California). We just moved into our new Townhouse, on the southwestern side of which is a small (12' X 4') dirt area. I love Lilies and plan to plant some there.

However, this area is,

1. to be more specific, on the northern side of a brick wall (around 6' height) and on the southwestern side of my house.

2. Now it is late fall, there is not much direct sun. The edge far way from the wall (about 12' x 1') always has direct sun, truly full-sun; and other is in the shade (especially the area close to the brick wall), but still bright.

3. my neighbors told us during spring and summer it can get direct sun (at least 4 hrs).

4. the dirt is surrounded by concert pavement, the temperature of which could get very high during these L.A. hot days.

I went to my local nursery and was told this is a full-shade area, but I dount. Since there is no overhead construction or tall tree, I assume this dirt area is partial shade, right?

I am eager to hear your diagnose of this area. :-)

My question is whether I can grow lilies here. If so, which kinds are better, shade and heat tolerant? Thank you very much in advance!

Comments (2)