Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilies in Mexico

Posted by saged (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 19, 06 at 22:56

Dear all

I am a bulb enthusiast and carried out research on them in the UK for 10 years (Warwick-HRI, now part of Warwick university). I now live in La Paz, BCS, Mexico.

I want to buy lilies but cant find them here in La Paz, BCS, Mexico. Can you or a company you know send them to me? I am most interested in the fragrant varietes. Zone 6-7 upwards should be fine here, judging by what I have seen.

I have had no problem so far getting seeds into Mexico from many countries including the USA and bulbs from Holland. ALL without any special pytosanitary tickets or permissions and nothing has gone missing.

Kind regards,

Dr Darren Sage (Botanist)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilies in Mexico

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 20, 06 at 20:12

A phytosanitary certificate is needed for shipping lilies from Canada into the US, so I imagine that one is needed for shipping from the US to Mexico. The provider of the plants is the one who gets the certificates. Smaller operations that sell to other countries as well as their own pass that price on to the consumer. (its usually $15). The large dutch exporters are also getting some version of a phytosanitary certificate for their exported plant material, you just weren't charged separately for it. Since they are exporting almost everything they grow that cost is built into their prices.

Canadian companies do a fair amount of their business with the US and so are willing to do phytosanitary certificates. They might be willing to ship to Mexico as well. The Lily Nook has a very nice selection of lilies. Unfortunately, they have already shut down their fall shipping.

I'm assuming (since you're a botanist) that you know that lily bulbs (with only a couple exceptions) need a cold vernalization period to come up in the spring. It would probably be easier for you to buy them pre-cooled in the spring. That would save you one winter of refrigeration.

-Helen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here