Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do not place flower bulbs in the freezer !

Posted by lilydude sunset6/z8 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 12, 06 at 23:55

Lily and other flower bulbs cannot stand to be placed in the freezer! Some commercial growers will freeze bulbs at just below 32 degrees F. Your freezer is set to roughly 0 degrees F. It will kill every bulb.

In very cold climates, bulbs in the ground will freeze and survive. However, the rate of temperature change is very slow, since the soil around them is slowly freezing over the course of many days. If you place bulbs in the freezer, they will be frozen hard in a couple of hours: much too fast. And when you take them out, they will also thaw too quickly, and you will have mush.

To satisfy dormancy requirements, place the lily bulbs in a container with potting mix, bark dust, etc., enclose in a plastic freezer bag, and place in the fridge at 40 degrees F for a few months.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I also don't want a lot of people to lose their bulbs. For more information, Google "freezer storage of lily bulbs", or look at these links:
http://experts.about.com/q/Bulbs-709/lily-bulb-storage-winter.htm
http://redwoodbarn.com/DE_bulbseasy.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do not place flower bulbs in the freezer !

Thanks for correcting that, lilydude. I scanned right over it in that thread and didn't notice it said freezer, not fridge.

The only thing I'd add is that if you're storing bulbs in the fridge, you should check on your refrigerated bulbs weekly after a couple of months. They might start growing, which means you need to pot them up and put them outside SOON. That one stem is the only one they're going to grow that year, so you don't want it to get long and spindly. Also, it's using up the energy in the bulb. I've had this happen to me. The perfect storage temperature is right around 32 degrees, to keep them from sprouting, but that's too cold for the kitchen fridge and too warm for the freezer. At 35-40, the range of most kitchen fridges, they can (and do) start growing after awhile.

Jeanne

o
RE: Do not place flower bulbs in the freezer !

If you are going to put your bulbs in your refrigerator, also be aware that all fruits and vegetables as they age and ripen give off ethylene. Lily bulbs are sensitive to this gas, and exposure to it can cause the bulb to deteriorate or, if your bulb starts to grow in the refrigerator, can cause the embryonic flower buds to abort. It's better, if possible, to store them somewhere away from fruits and vegetables, such as an unheated garage or dry, cool basement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here