Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

divided for first time: a tangled mess!

I just planted on Sunday an order of 15 new lilies. I was feeling energetic so thought I'd try and divide a clump. I had not done this before. I think I might be afraid to try it again!

These were a clump of 3 pixie lilies bought potted after blooming in summer 2005. They were on sale for 50 cents, I couldn't help myself, even if I didn't know what color they were supposed to be. When I planted them in the first place I found them so root bound it was like there was no soil in the pot. I couldn't pry them apart and was short on time so plunked the whole thing in the ground. This year they bloomed very nicely and I was pleased. The original 3 now had something like 8 stalks; ~ half bloomed. They turned out to be a hot orange: really striking but not right for that spot.

When I pried this mass up Sunday it was like a solid ball 7 inches across! I pried off the individual bulbs using a fork! I got about 5 good-sized, maybe 2 1/2 inch bulbs off it, but lots of much smaller "part-bulbs". They looked not like smaller bulbs, but half or third sized. Like a head of garlic when you've taken off some cloves. I don't know if that means I accidentally split up a bunch. I did have some loose scales but most were kind of loosely tied together.

I planted the big whole ones but wasn't sure about the "partial" or loose floppy ones. Will these develop? I put them in a less than prime location in case they didn't amount to much.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?