Is this a lily?

Posted by snasxs (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 1:21

Picture taken in Western China:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a lily?

Notholirion bulbuliferum.

Notholirion means false lily so, a close relation but not a true lily.

o

Thanks kayman. I mistake it as a lily. Do they have easy-to-tell difference?

o

Your picture doesn't show it, but most of the leaves would have been in a basal rosette. The flower stalk, when it appears (Notholirion are monocarpic), has only a few small leaves. None of the true lilies are like that, their stems are clothed in leaves more or less to the top and mature bulbs don't keep any basal leaves.

Also, if you had seen the bulb, it would have been tunicate - the old leaf bases would have been wrapped around it like a tulip bulb.

o

I am a little confused by "monocarp". Are these annuals or perennials?

o

Monocarpic: a perennial that only flowers once, then dies. Notholirion are supposed to make plenty of offsets before flowering, so that the original bulb flowering doesn't mean it's lost. That isn't my experience with bulbuliferum. Those I've grown don't seem to offset at all and need to be restarted from seed.

o

I see. I think tulips are also monocarpic bulbs.

I will check how the offsets of bulbuliferum look like. It will be easier for a gardener if a bulb comes back where it was last year, without the need to reseed.

o

"I think tulips are also monocarpic bulbs."

Lots of the things I try to grow turn out to be none-o-carpic...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here