Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it possible?

Posted by vetivert8 NI-NZ zone 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 3:49

Might Nomocharis saluenensis cross with Macklin's lily? They're both out at the moment, side by side, pretty in pink.

(I ask because I've heard that Nomocharis used to be included with Lilium.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it possible?

Any bigeneric crosses (i.e. Nomocharis x Lilium) are rare using traditional methods and very difficult. However, division of these two genera has proven not to be very accurate, as Lilium saluensis is actually quite closely related to Lilium nepalense, according to an RNA study (Nishikawa, Okazaki, Arakawa and Nagamine. 2001). In fact, it appears that L. nepalense and N. saluensis would cross more easily than L. nepalense and any other Lilium species(!). But N. saluensis and L. mackliniae are very far apart, genetically speaking, and according to this same phylogenetic study, and would not cross.

o
RE: is it possible? saluenensis

Sorry for the misspelling of saluenensis, and the study was with DNA, not RNA. The inability to edit one's own post is one of the pitfalls of this archaic system, and one of the many reasons I seldom pop in to GW anymore.

I know that by looking at the species, you might think I am off my rocker, but that is how I read the phylogenetic chart. It's been years since I read the entire study, and there may be more pertinent information within. If you would like a copy of the pdf, send my a message through GW with your email address and I can send it to you.

o
RE: is it possible?

Confession: I'm hopeless with flow charts and similar constructs, so I thank you for your kind offer and reluctantly pass.

Totally agree about saluenensis! (When I hit the first 'n' I think it's safe to pass along to the 's' directly...:-(( )

And, if either of them has a seed pod that swells - I won't hope unduly.

Thanks for helping.

o
RE: is it possible to grow lilies in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam?

Dear All,
I'm interested in Lily growing and now planning to grow these flowers in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, using greenhouse. Our local climate's something like 22 oC at night and 32 oC at day. Can it possible?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here