Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting lily seeds--Indoors or out?

Posted by botanicat z7 NW GA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 6:03

I have some Asiatic lily seeds that I am going to try to plant but was wondering if I should plant in pots outside or inside. Do the seeds need the cold period like the bulbs? And if outside, is it better to plant directly into the bed or in pots. I'm in zone 7b. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting lily seeds--Indoors or out?

Asiatic seed doesn't need any chilling before it germinates - it should come up within a few weeks of sowing providing the temperature is right. So, only sow it indoors if you can keep it growing over winter (cool temps & good light). Otherwise I'd suggest waiting for spring.

As to whether you sow it directly into the soil or not - that depends on your soil, etc. Direct sowing into a nursery bed is usually preferable if you feel confident & have the space. If you decide to use a pot, make it a large one - with reasonable quantities of seed sowing into a styrofoam box is a good idea, since the soil in it keeps more stable temps and moisture content.

o

Thanks, Kayman. I may try a few indoors but for most I will wait till spring. My home may not be cool enough although I have a room with a good bit of light.

o

If pods fall from the lilly before blooming are the seeds inside "plantable?

o

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 1:46

Hi Ladybug,

If they haven't opened at all it is very doubtful that they are fertile, since I don't think the pollen inside would have ripened and it couldn't get pollen from any other lily. You can always "candle" them just to check. Hold them up to the light and see if you see a little dark strip down the. That's the embryo.

-Helen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here