Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

placed my 1st Lily order - can you tell me about these?

irish_rose_grower
18 years ago

I'm so excited, I placed my 1st lily order! Van Engelen,

oriental lily dizzy

asiatic pink-white mix (25 bulbs for 15.00)

tigrinum lily fireking

I'm so happy I can't wait to get these. I think this is my new addiction :-)

Also, I'm looking for SPECIES RUBRUM - if you this to trade please let me know. Van Engelen was all sold out.

p.s. Any tips or pics or words of advice would be very welcome

Thanks

Maureen

Comments (6)

• outinthegardenallday
    18 years ago

You have picked a very good place to start. VE is the sister/brother company of Scheepers. I love their stock. The weather reports indicate that we're supposed to warm up in the middle of the week...hopefully you'll have your bulbs and will be able to get them in. Plant them in deeply in a nice spot and wait. Bulbs make a bolder statement when you plant them in groupings rather than spreading them out too thinly...I generally plant them in groups of 3-5 as a minimum.

Do you ever have a chance to go into the city? There's a discount place called Weber's on 32nd between 7th and 6th that gets a ton of lily bulbs in around March or so...they're only 2 bucks a package. I've had some wonderful luck with the bulbs I've bought there (including the dahlia tubers)...the variety is somewhat limited, but varied enough to suit my taste. And you cannot beat the price.

Ciao,
    OITGAD

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OITGAD - Thanks for the info. I'm planning on getting out tomorrow and planting lots of stuff I still have to get in the ground. Then as soon as I get the Lily's they are getting planted. Thank you for the info on grouping them. I am not good at designing and placement, but will definitely group them in 3-5 minimum. I don't like going into the city (except for their awesome restaurants), since I do not like crowds, but that was nice of you to give me the name of that discount place Weber's.

Happy Holidays
    Maureen

• outinthegardenallday
    18 years ago

I just looked at your lovely Garden Web home page. My house is about the same size as yours! And I too have been filling it with more and more flowers. My lawn in front is disappearing as I continue to expand the garden.

Have you been out to the Peconic Herb Farm yet? Don't let the name throw you...this is truly one of THE gems on Long Island and is by no means limited to herbs. A fellow gardener has been telling me about this place for years and I kept putting off a visit. I finally got out there this September and it was one of those defining gardening moments where you think you've died and gone to gardening heaven. I caught the end of season sale and purchased a HUGE New Dawn climbing rose and two GIGANTIC rudbekias. My name is on their mailing list and I cannot wait for them to open again in the Spring. Visiting is a lovely experience...they're right on the river and have wonderful display gardens. And as if the terrific stock and display gardens aren't enough...the staff is wonderful!

One more thing about buying from VE or John Scheepers; while I think they have the best prices, they only sell in the Fall. If you get a hankering for some more Lilies come Spring, you'll have to go to one of the other superb vendors. You'll get a ton of references here from the other posters. My recommendations would include Brent and Becky's and The Lily Garden.

Happy gardening!

Ciao,
    OITGAD

Here is a link that might be useful: Peconic Herb Farm

• leslie197
    18 years ago

Irish_rose_grower, don't worry about designing with your new lilies - you can hardly go wrong from a design standpoint - lilies look good with just about everything.
    {{gwi:636522}}

{{gwi:1028641}}

{{gwi:1040462}}

{{gwi:30994}}

{{gwi:30998}}

#1 The LA Hybrids are in pretty much full sun with the daylilies. #2 etc. The asiatics are in morning sun - the ones toward the north mixed with ferns & other shade plants tend to fade away a bit - but I love them mixed with the shade plants #5 Unopened trumpet lilies are on the edge of a heavy shade bed & lean towards the sun. I love them there but usually have to stake.

One of the best things about lilies is that they move easy. Experiment. Have fun.

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Leslie, beautiful pics. I love that last one. Thanks for sharing.

Maureen, I planted Dizzy for the first time last year, and it quickly became one of my favorites. Dizzy was quite short, but it was first year, fragrant, and surprisingly seemed to compliment flowers around it. And, it lives up to it's name. Welcome to lily addiction.

Polly

• stanly
    18 years ago

Leslie, thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. It's been below freezing here for the last month or more so it's wonderful to look at these pictures and look forward to spring. Stan

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH