Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to lilies

Posted by krowenow TN (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 26, 08 at 15:41

I'm getting married may 23rd and I want lilies to be my only flower. I want the stargazer lilies, the bright pink ones (not sure of their name), and the all white ones (not sure of their name either). However, I don't want to pay a florist. I wanted to plant them all myself because my wedding site is a family owned lake-side property that has nothing on it. I get to start from scratch, which is exciting, but not when you know NOTHING about gardening. I have been told that it's too late to plant lilies for may but I was reading a post earlier that said you can plant them in may. I just really need some feedback. Thanks so much!
Kimberly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to lilies

In my zone 4 garden Stargazer Oriental lilies are July bloomers, as are the white Casa Blanca lilies. The asiatic lilies are usually earlier bloomers, but I don't know of any that will bloom in May. You're in a warmer zone, so may get slightly earlier bloom but not enough to give you May bloom. Sorry!

o
RE: new to lilies

Ditto. There is no Lily that will bloom in May (no matter when planted). Florists' Lilies are profecionally forced to bloom (using chemicals and greenhouse conditions).

Tennessee is in zone 6/7. Orientals are July bloomers for these zones as well. Even so called Easter Lilies (Lilium longiflorum) naturally bloom in June/July.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here