Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meolongxu87

Regal lily question

meolongxu87
14 years ago

I have a 10" container that had 2 giant daffodil bulbs planted and I'd love to a have trumpet lily bulb that will thrive in the heat of Texas. Any advice would help a lot. I'm thinking about Regal lily but I have no information whether it will grow well in the southern heat or not. And I'm also not sure if the daffodil will compete with the lily in term of root space... :)

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

While I cannot say how a Regal Lily would do in a pot that size in your location, I would not advise you putting it in the same pot with daffodils. A lily would require constant watering throughout the season. The constant watering of the daffodils after they have bloomed and started into dormancy would not be a good thing.

If you do decide to try the lily in the pot, I would suggest you digging out the daffs once the foliage has faded a good bit, and store them in a cool dry place until replanting them in the fall.

Sue...a daff person

• meolongxu87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Can I let them be moderately dry and make them both happy? I hear that lily is drought tolerant plant and daffodil can tolerate a little bit of summer moisture too... I heard people planted their daffodil with daylilies and other annuals....what do you think? Beside, my summer is very hot so the soil dries out fast in 2-3 days in my 10" clay pot.

14 years ago

Can I let them be moderately dry and make them both happy?
    I doubt it, in a pot.

I heard people planted their daffodil with daylilies and other annuals.
    That is usually when they are planted in the ground and not in pots, I believe...big difference. I have daffs planted among daylilies, and irises, and other perennials and they all just get the normal amount of precipitation here, unlike a pot that would be drying out every 2-3 days.

I don't know where your zone 8 is located, but you might try asking also on a forum in your area...TX? FL? MS?

I suggest you add your location to the one box provided for the garden zone, so folks will now your location in addition to your zone. See I am zone 5/6 S INDIANA
    It will them show on your Member Page and will automatically be shown whenever you post.

Sue

• meolongxu87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip! Is there a way you would suggest to plant them as so I won't disturb the lily root when digging the daff?

14 years ago

Is there a way you would suggest to plant them as so I won't disturb the lily root when digging the daff?
    No, as that is really not a very big pot. I'd suggest you using 2 different pots if at all possible, or else planting one or the other in the ground. Something to remember is that those giant daffodil bulbs will divide and the resulting new bulbs will need room to grow too.
    I would think the Regal Lily would also probably do better in the ground. It is a real beauty, imho.

Sue

• meolongxu87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will have to plant daffodil with the rose in a huge 23" pot instead then... I live in an apartment so there's really no "ground" for me.. But daffodil was really cheap (50c a bulb as big as a fist) so I bought them anyway :) will dig the daffodil up when they're gone. Definitely grow my lily in the pot. What do you think maybe an Oriental bulb, an Asiatic bulb , and a Regal bulb in a 10" pot? since the bulbs are not very big..:D (14cm, 11cm, 17cm in circumference respectively)
    I haven't seen the regal so I can't tell ya but the pictures I found over the Internet sure are beautiful...If only I can smell them on my laptop too...