Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forcing lily bulbs?

Posted by ClickerMel z6a SW Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 05 at 18:08

I am about to acquire a small refrigerator, to be used for forcing bulbs (mainly spring bulbs). I've never tried any of this before so it shall be a grand experiment!

I also just purchased some oriental and asiatic lilies at a box store (couldn't help myself) at close-out prices. It's pretty cold here (in the 40s during the day) so it's likely too cold to plant them outdoors now . . .

I'd like to see if these can be forced. Anyone have any helpful hints on whether this is possible? I know commercial gardeners can do it, but I am not sure about whether this can be done at home.

If anyone has any info, please share!

:-) Mel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forcing lily bulbs?

I would imagine it's possible, but most likely difficult , since as far as I know , only greenhouses do it, and since lilies require at least two months of growth with very bright sunny conditions you'd need a warm sunny spot to get blooms most likely. Not easy in the average home in the winter or spring!!! Usually bulbs which mature very quickly from the time they emerge to the time they bloom are the usual ones forced.

o

Bummer -- that will have to wait until I get a light setup (hopefully next year . . . )

Is it too late to plant, or will they be OK, since they are planted so deep?

Thanks!

:-) Mel

o

You can plant as long as the soil is workable. Plant bulb 5-6 inches deep. You can go deeper on larger bulbs!

It's really tought to force Lilies in the home. While you can get them chilled properly, they need specific temperatures for proper bud development and it's difficult to get the right amount of light for them to grow properly.

Just get them in the ground and mulch them well after planting. They are hardy bulbs!

Riz

Riz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here