Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asiatic lilys - can I plant in a huge container till spring?

Posted by Irish_rose_grower z7 LI NY (maureenpm00@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Dec 14, 05 at 8:37

HI. I still have 25 asiatic lilys and 5 species lilys that I haven't gotten to plant and it is like 15 deg out. Plus I'm not sure where I'm going to plant these bulbs.

Can I plant in large containers till spring? And if yes, still 8" deep? Do I use soil from the yard, or miracle grow moisture control potting mix that I have? do I keep then outside, or in a detached garage (very cold in there).

And if this is ok, at what time do I plant in the ground? Do I plant before they are growing above ground?

Thanks.
Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asiatic lilys - can I plant in a huge container till spring?

Boy oh boy, am I glad to see this question!! Sure hope you don't mind if I jump in as the same thing happened to me. I found a whole box of asiatic lily bulbets that didn't get planted. Can these be overwintered in paper bags in peat moss/vermiculite in a cool dark place or potted up?

Linda

o

I would pot them up. That way their roots get a chance to get going. Don't use the Miracle Grow moisture retention stuff, it will keep the bulbs too wet and they might rot. Just moisten whatever soil you use (should be fast draining). Best to error on the drier side for lilies. I cover my containers with a piece of plywood for the winter, just to keep the rain out. Eight inches deep and maybe a bit of bulb food mixed in the soil sounds good, and a couple of inches of organic mulch on top if you have it. You can move them out to their places in the garden in the spring, keeping as much soil with the rootball as possible. Or you can choose to grow them out in their containers and transplant in the fall.

Linda, if your bulblets are withered and desiccated it doesn't bode well for them. They can be potted up as described but not so deep.

o

I have potted lilies for the winter. the asiatics do very well with this. You can do it, just don't keep them too wet over winter.

o

Linda, that's ok with me. Lucky for us Pardalinum answered our questions.

Thanks pardalinum. I'll be potting them up this weekend. I just love lilies and can't wait to see them growing in my garden. This will be my first year growing lilys.

Thanks Kdjoergensen. I'my definitely potting them up.

Maureen

o

Maureen....This is also my first year with lilies too! I just about fainted when I opened this box and found all the lily bulbs! Getting ready to dig out my pots and plant them and will store them in my basement til Spring!

Pardalinum...The bulbets look great...but they were in a plastic bag. Can't understand why they didn't rot!! Mother Nature was definitely looking out for me! Will definitely get them potted asap. How much longer til Spring???? Thanks so much for your help.

Linda

o

• Posted by robbn z6 Ont (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 11, 06 at 20:42

I have the same issue. With the incredibly mild winter we are getting here in southwestern Ontario, can I put them in the ground???? It is currently 7oC and should stay that way for a couple more days. The ground is workable.

Thanks for any help.

o

You can plant lily bulbs outside now if your ground is workable.
.......Jan

o

Lilies can be planted any time the soil is workable, even when in bloom, if you are careful with the roots and the site has good drainage.

Jeanne

o

I usually pot up my lily bulbs before transplanting them to their final positions in the garden. For one thing, I don't want to risk slicing up other bulbs/dormant perennials already in the soil. I pot them up in a mixture of loam and multipurpose compost with lots of added grit, and make sure the pots have good drainage. I stand the containers against the house wall so they don't get too much rain on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here