Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil mix for Lilies

Posted by carygardener 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 05 at 17:32

Hello all,

I have heavy clay soil in my backyard and have prepared a bed with only all purpose soil conditioner and excellent compost in 50-50 ratio. Is this mixture good enough ? what is the ideal solution for lilies in heavy clay ?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil mix for Lilies

I also garden in heavy clay and have found (in addition to amendments like you have added) raising the bed at least a few inches greatly benefited the lilies. The problem is that your organic additions will last the season then you are back to the clay problem. I grow a lot of lilies and I can no longer work the compost in without risking slicing into a bulb so now I just top dress with compost each spring and the lilies love it. I lost many lilies to rot before I raised my beds a little. Before planting, I also worked in some river loam to help with drainage. It persists on a more permanent basis. Hope this helps.

o

Thanks for the tip.. I think I will raise the bed too. I have the conditioner + compost mixture to a depth of 15 inches and have loosened the clay another 3-4 inches.

o

Sounds like you have a good plan for your lilies. Let us all know how it works out for you!

o

Did you mix the soil conditioner and compost into the soil, or are you using the two all by themselves? If you're using just those two and no soil, that's awfully rich. Lilies like rich soil, but that's more like growing in straight compost, which is a pretty good recipe for various rots.

Jeanne

o

You have an excellent plan, carygardener -- especially loosening the clay soil another 3-4." We are commercial growers of cutflowers, and experience all types of soil in our flower beds. Conditioning and composting is going to be of great benefit to your soil. A soil with is full of organic matter, and full of organisms, will have a high rate of respiration. This is the soil in which plants flourish. Organic matter serves as the principal fuel for soil respiration. Top dressing in the manner pardalinum suggested after no longer being able to work the soil will conserve moisture and suppress weeds while also adding nutrients.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here