Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lila888

Orienpet Altari vs. Orienpet Garden Pleasure

lila888
15 years ago

Does anybody grew these 2 orienpet lilies? Would you please tell me the difference between the two?

TIA,

lila

Comments (6)

• stanly
    15 years ago

lila888, there is a picture of both of these lilies with a description on a web site www.lilynook.mb.ca that might help you.
    Stan

• hcarnevale
    15 years ago

I grow both of them. Here are pictures of each from my garden last summer. I hope this helps.

Heather

Garden Pleasure

Altari

• lila888
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stan, I checked lilynook before and to me they look the same in the pictures except for their descriptions. Thank you for trying to help. I appreciate it.

Heather, thank you so much. Your pictures helped a lot. I have seen the difference now. I've ordered GP from Van Engelen and placed a spring order at American Meadows. I did not get response to this thread right away so I did not order Altari. I put your PB album on my favorites for future reference. I hope you don't mind.
    BTW, you've got an impressive lily collection. I love your American series.
    I have seen your Hippies too. Awesome collection! 3 days ago I potted up Red Lion, Apple Blossom and Minerva. Couldn't pass up the 50% off sale. This is my first time planting Hippies. I hope they will bloom for me. Thanks again and I appreciate your help.

• hcarnevale
    15 years ago

glad I could help. I've added probably another 50 different lily cultivars to my beds this past fall so I will have many new lily pictures added to my album this summer (assuming they all do well over the winter). My first love is Lilies, my second love(s) are orchids and hippeastrums. I have many more hippies about to bloom and will be adding more pics as they bloom. I'm sure yours will bloom as long as they have good drainage and you don't overwater them. Hippies hate wet feet!! They will rot (like most bulbs). The key will be to see if you can get them to rebloom next year. Good luck. Let me know how they do.

Heather

• lila888
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Heather, I will be waiting for new pics of your hippies and your lilies in the summer. I have a lot of asiatic lilies (bought them mixed and some got no ID)which are 4 years old and last year they bloom like crazy and that's what got me going with lilies. I want to try orienpets and orientals and I have placed 2 orders already for the spring and I have the Van Engelen order sitting in my garage. I hope I won't lose them this winter.
    My hippies are doing good right now and thank you for the advice. I planted them in that coir that comes in the package and I read that it is not good. I ran out of good potting media(used them in the lilies sitting in the garage). If they won't rot, I will change the potting media after they bloom. Look like I will have another addiction!
    My first love was sedum, then lily and hosta.

Lila

• hcarnevale
    15 years ago

Your are right, the coir they give with the Hippies is not good for them. There are many suggestions on how to make your own mix. I mix cactus soil with perlite and sphagnum peat moss (with a little bit of bulb fertilizer). It seems to drain well. Send me pics of your hippies when they bloom.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida