Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hdmonster

Unidentified White Lily

hdmonster
15 years ago

Hi, I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to help me identify this lily.

If you can believe it, I'm having trouble identifying a clump of lilies that I planted. I've planted a lot of different lilies over the last few years, and some have been more successful than others, some have been pre-empted by clumsy dogs, and others by clumsy me, some may just have been too challenging for my limited skills. The upshot is that unless a lily is really easy to identify, I'm sometimes mystified by what shows up. The lily pictured below is growing in great clumps, sending up multiple stalks, and is generally performing like a champ, except I now have no idea what I planted.

The lily in question has stalks between 3.5 and just under 5' tall, mostly horizontal to downward facing recurved blooms and roughly 6 or 7 inches across. It's highly scented. The throat is pale green on most of the blooms, and there's some pink or purple on the outside. It flowered at the beginning of August. I'm in zone 8. Stalks range from the diameter of a nickel on the new growth to a quarter on the established ones. No bulbils, foliage can be seen in the picture.

I've tried to plant mostly the species or "wild" lilies in this spot, because it's the prime patio spot, but I've most likely made some dubious purchases in that time, and it's also entirely possible I've mixed up bulbs intended for other areas. The lilies I've planted in this area are mostly Auratum, Rubrum, black beauty, tiger lilies, martagon, leopard, regal, formosa etc, none of which should (to my limited knowledge look like this). I wasn't aware until recently that tiger lilies can carry viruses that have unpleasant effects on other lilies, but I have no idea whether the coloration could be a result of a virus. I'll be embarrassed if it's just a funky looking casablanca, but the casablancas I have growing in other areas are sturdier looking, and have "fuller" petals.

In my limited knowledge I thought maybe Album, but I'm confused by the pink/purple on the outside, and the fact that I didn't purchase any Album.

Thank you for looking at it! Any help identifying it would be much appreciated.

Pictures are below

View of clump (please pay no attention to the untended "legacy" rose in the background, or my misguided attempt to plant asters as ground cover last summer :-) ).

{{gwi:1041117}} View of clump

{{gwi:1041118}}Close Up

Comments (2)