Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s_tre

Personal Pace and Sensa-Speed

s-tre
16 years ago

I need a new lawn mower and am considering both Toro and Lawn Boy. Must be self propelled and I am debating the value of the Personal Pace and Sensa-Speed devices, vs good old fashioned bail.

I tried out a Lawn Boy with the Sensa-SPeed last year and wasn't overjoyed with it. My lawn has little divots here and there and when the rear wheels hit one, my hands went down and this resulted in me pushing harder on the handle, thus goosing the self propel faster. Sounds convuluted, but what happened is whenever I hit a little hole, the lawn mower would lurch forward and kind of pop a wheelie, causing uneven mowing of the grass. What I want to know is this:

Am I alone in having issues with this? Anyone else notice this kind of funkiness?

Do you get better at using it with practice? This is kind of a revolutionary way of operting the self propel mechanism, so maybe I just have to adjust to it.

I haven't tried a Toro, but does Toro operate the same way, or would this problem not happen with their Personal Pace method?

Other than that, I really liked all the features and LOVED the speed of the Sensa-speed when on flat grass. This thing made mowing my yard a very quick job, plus mulched everything in its path.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (13)

• weed_cutter
    16 years ago

Try using the Personal Pace with your arms bent at the elbow, other than that you may just not like it, some don't.

• 1saxman
    16 years ago

Sensa Speed is the same as Personal Pace. I have two mowers - a Lawn-Boy 10550 with Easy-Stride (PP) and a LB 10684 with Variable Speed (manual control of PP). I cannot use the Easy Stride all the time, because I would end up throwing the 10550 out into the street, then finishing the job with 30 rounds of 7.62x39. Some people love PP and some, well, it can drive them crazy. The Variable speed is much easier and smoother for me to use. I still like the 2-cycle 10550 but I will never buy another PP mower. In my case the problem with PP is jerkiness in close-quarter cutting with push-pull movements, which I have a lot of. The wheel clutches must have the minimum amount of coasting to disengage, and it's just not feasible sometimes. This causes drag on the pullback, which is particularly irritating if that pullback happens to be up-slope, making the mower feel twice as heavy. Yes, you can get smoother with it over time, and you can also adjust the cable for more free play in the handle whhich would help your situation. I did that to smooth out the turnarounds because it was jerking into drive as I pivoted at the end of the run. The thing about PP is you can't turn it off. On a Variable Speed, you just let go of the bail and it instantly becomes a push mower for effortless manuvering in those tight push-pull situations. Even starting the PP mower makes it pull forward, because you have to push on the handle with one hand and pull the starter cord with the other. Believe it or not, I think PP is an ingenious drive system. Lawn-Boy invented it and called it 'Automatic Drive' or something. Toro bought LB and inherited it, eventually coming out with 'Personal Pace' on Toro and 'Easy Stride' on Lawn-Boy. It's the easiest and most carefree drive imaginable, but it does have these little quirks that bother some owners.

• plmn
    16 years ago

Just want to make a note that Lawn Boy does have a "Cruise Control" option available for about $30. I have not tried it but it appears to let you set up to 10 fixed speeds and override the Sensa-Speed.

I have not tried a running Sensa-Speed on a Platinum Insight, but to me it appeared that the drivetrain was similar to the Personal Pace on the lower-end Toro Recyclers. The drivetrain is different on the Super Recycler 20092 SR4 Personal Pace, and while they were not running the SR4 rolled noticeably easier. Also, at two different dealers I noticed the Sensa-Speed was easier to depress fully, so it may be more sensitive to bumpy yards. On the flip side the Toro probably feels slightly harder to push when running. So far I don't have any issues with pullback on my SR4 with one exception. When going uphill and pushing down on the PP bar all the way up to an object, the transmission does not release. However, the wheels are not locked up and it is still not all that difficult to pull back, and the situation is fairly easy to avoid in the first place as it only takes about 6 inches of forward travel to disengage the transmission plus there is a solid bar to push on in really tight situations.

The salesman did say the Toro would pull back better. I know you can't rely on a salesman's word, so take that however you want it, just though it was worth mentioning.

I'm pretty new at using this so I'll post back an update if I find I have more issues. I have a fairly flat but very bumpy yard and so far have no major issues with Personal Pace that outweigh the great convenience it provides. I should also state that my old mower was not self-propelled so maybe I just don't know any better.

Don't take my thoughts here as expert opinion, just posting my initial impressions. I don't know how different Personal Pace and Sensa Speed are in actual use, but they are not the exact same design.

• roadbike
    16 years ago

Personal pace, sensa-speed and bail controls do essentially the same thing: tighten and loosen the drive belt to control speed.

I've used a Toro with Personal Pace and really do not have the problem you mentioned. But as others mentioned you should relax your arms some and just let forward motion of your body increase pressure on the speed control. As with any new tool it takes a bit of practice to get comfortable with how it works. So just give it a few more mows and see what happens.

• floridian_lawn
    15 years ago

I agree with s-tre. I just bought a 20066 Toro Personal Pace last Sunday at Home Depot. Good price... $349, which is about 20 dollars off the list. Just tried it out today and I was a little disappointed the first time out. Maybe I just miss my old Snapper 6 speed bail bar mower, I don't know. But S-Tre is correct, bumps or roots will cause a small jolt, and a choppy motion forward because of imperfections in the yard, but not too bad. It is hard to keep momentum on turns also, going around small circles you end up pushing with short back and forward motions. The mower does cut very well, although the bag dumps a lot of clippings when you pull it off to empty. Now here is my real issue. With this thick St. Augustine grass we have in Florida (Floratam), the personal pace is a pain in my back. There is a slight pressure you need to maintain pushing your arms down while your legs move you forward. In this tall thick grass, and it does strain your middle back if you're used to a mower pulling you along. I know you folks in Nebraska are thinking what a wimp, but it's true you guys up there have that thin short stuff, this lawn is so deep and thick you can loose a small dog in it. If there were a way to adjust the sensitivity on the personal pace drive train this may still be a good mower for Florida. I am seriously thinking of returning this for a variable speed bail bar mower.

• jdsb14
    15 years ago

I too am in need of a new mower although my 20 yr old JD walk behind may get another season in. I have duct tape covering some holes in the deck. I think years of fertilizer corroded it. I'd pay good money for the same mower again.
    I'd prefer something with a bail control, not only because I'm used to it but because I feel it's better and simpler. I'm looking at all the popular higher rated mowers and they all have some drawback, mainly the drive control in my view.
    I'm not sure what to buy.
    I think the Honda HRX has a bail control but it has that other unnecessary clip director feature. When I search for opinions on mowers there's a lot of folks who don't like that clip director thing nor the sensa speed or PP system on the other mowers I'm considering.
    I think my JD has 4 or 5 speeds to choose from (seldom change it) and I can't imagine someone needing something otherwise. I've cut my half acre effectively with one setting for 20 yrs sometimes changing it for a moment if it starts raining and I need to hustle to finish.
    I may go the cheapo route until someone makes the right mower.

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

Toro/Lawn-Boy offers several mowers with bail control. Look for the ones with 'Variable Speed', like the LB 10684. The bail can be 'let out' for slower speed or held tight to the handle for top speed, which is about right for most mowing. It doesn't get any simpler than this or PP; all you have is the drive belt and the 'rear end' (gear reduction box on the axle). The bail (on Var. Spd.) or sliding handle (on PP) simply tilts the gear box to put tension on the belt, which is designed to constantly slip.

Here is a link that might be useful: LB 10684

• zigschwartz
    15 years ago

Try adding the Personal Pace traction assist handle. This is a $25 add on from your local lawn & garden center. It adds a sideways extension from the lower fixed handle to about 6 inches under the personal pace handle. You can grip the new extension with your hands as you slide the personal pace handle forward. Makes the mower feel much more solid. I just added this to my new 20056 and I'm thrilled. Makes the PP drive much smoother, especially when hitting divots and bumps in the lawn.

• lawnmowerdan
    15 years ago

fla lawns has it right-why buy a sp mower if you have to coax it along! personal pace is a joke

• jimbosc
    15 years ago

PP works fine for me, but I agree it is always on - if you want to be able to use your mower at time without the drive engaged then something besides a Toro or Lawn Boy is a good idea.

We talked about how using PP is a bit like dancing, and you get better with more use.

Jim

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

I go back and forth on PP. I've said I wouldn't buy another one but I am seriously considering a LB 10795. The reason? LB advertising claims the new Sensa-speed is an improvement, with specifically better disengagement for the pull-back. Also, it has 8" wheels all around, aluminum deck and the Honda mill. I'm going to try to find someplace to give it a quick spin before actually buying one. I want to experience the 'improved' version of PP. I like having two decent mowers but am getting tired enough of the 10550 to consider selling it. I had a Honda HRB216TDA before and really liked the engine - seems to be a cut above everything else in sophistication. I always thought the GCV on an aluminum deck would be good, so here's my chance to get that. Plus, I already like the Insight design after using a 10684 for several years.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    15 years ago

I have a 20062, and I have no problems with Sensa Speed. I'd buy another.

• floridian_lawn
    15 years ago

I'm trying to find the optional part that Zigschwartz recommended. If I can find the traction control handle, that could solve my PP issues. I found a manual that has a part number: 99-1589\99-1589. I guess it's two pieces that make up the traction bar. I will ask if they carry the part at Home Depot where I bought the mower. It would have been great if Toro just put these on as standard equipment.