Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
attrib1

Craftsman Lawnmower Won't Stay Running Part 2

attrib1
18 years ago

I have a Craftsman 3in1. Model; 917.377591

I am having a similar problem to this person.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower/msg0520543432529.htm

But its a different type of lawnmower engine from the Tecumseh. I don't see any type of brass nut on the bottom of this carburetor.

The lawnmower will start but will stall out after about 5-6 seconds. If I hold down the primer it will run fine so I am suspecting its a problem with the carburetor. This is of course after checking the usual suspects (no gas, gas cap problem, air filter problem, no oil, etc.)

I have removed the entire carburetor from the engine and cleaned it as best I can tell (forgot to clamp the fuel line so gasoline was everywhere :). This includes taking off a metal u shaped-rod that holds the 2 pieces of the carburetor together (metal top piece and plastic bottom piece) and making sure a rubber tube that bridges between the 2 pieces inside the carburetor was clear. After putting it back together it still exhibits the same problem of stalling after 5-6 seconds

Can anyone suggest a solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (69)

• gdwstbrk_gmail_com
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks for the advise on this website and the info the T-man provided. Made the diagnosis and repair of replacing the bowl kit a breeze. Mower runs like a champ again.

The one thing I would mention to others is keep in mind this was originally from 2005. For those with newer mowers, the part number is different. Just put in the model of your engine at the Sears parts website and it will lead you to the right part.

Thanks again

• fb12345
    14 years ago

Son added weedwacker gas (40:1 gas to oil). replaced gas but mower would not turn over. If I prime while holding the lever to the carb open mower starts and runs for about 30-40 sec then chockes out.

Any suggestions?

• baymee
    14 years ago

The 40/1 gas won't hurt. Sounds like your main jet is blocked

• cesar_fernandez_verizon_net
    14 years ago

I am having the same problem as others here.. I changed the plastic carb bowl with a new kit.. Mine has a yellow nozzle and once i installed it the gas is very slowly leaking from the yellow nozzle.. I remove the bowl to see if the float is stopping the gas flow once it is filled and it is working properly.. I noticed that this plastic yellow nozzle sits on a spring and i am not sure if i should push it all the way down.. Any help will be appreciated..

• bomar999
    14 years ago

I too have the Craftsman Eager 1/6.75 hp with tecumseh carb,but with the metal bowl and recently had trouble with it staying running for more than 20 seconds.If I hit the primer bulb it would power up again for another short time and want to die out.Removed carburetor with intake pipe connected,(didn't want to rip the whole thing down).It wasn't till I turned the carb upside down with the bowl off that I realized the inlet needle(that attaches to the float)was sticking. Sprayed carb cleaner down tube and cleaned the needle the best I could, now it's running great again.

• wibbykdx
    13 years ago

Recently had same problem on mine

I've got the metal bowl on mine with a brass bolt holding it on the carb

I removed the bolt and cleaned some crap from the small holes at the base of the bolt and blew carb cleaner through the end and cleaned the bowl

Put her back together and she runs like a champ now

BTW, to save myself the confusion of what fuel is premixed for my weedeater and my bike and what is not, I've been using premix at 50:1 for the past 7 years on this mower. I've never used Stabil and the mower always easily starts every Spring

• loveforevers2
    13 years ago

Hi, i own craftman lawn mower that's about 6~7 years old. Model number is 917.374430. There's only 2 women living in this household so we don't know much about machinery. but I will do my best to describe what's going on with my mower.

Last time when I left my sister to mow the lawn, she couldn't do it, saying mower keep dying on her. She could not give me anymore description to me.
    Today I tried to mow the lawn and had exactly same problem.

I can turn it on but it won't stay running. It will die in less then 20 sec. It was only couple of second at first but I changed engine oil and etc. then it started running little longer but not enough to mow the lawn at all.

All I can describe is even when it starts, I hear some clanking metal noise that I didn't hear before. It sounds as if the propeller (not the blade) is hitting something. And engine sounds like it's coughing even though there's no smoke.

What am I suppose to do?!

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

Take it to a mechanic and have it evaluated! Sound like you might not have put enough oil in the engine. Or, too much! Did you pour the oil into the gas tank by mistake? Are you describing an airplane engine, or a lawn mower engine? Lawn mowers do not have propellers, only a blade! Better read my first sentence again! Did you put the oil into the engine until it reached the top of the dip-stick tube? If so, it has way too much oil in it! Read my first sentence again!

• baymee
    13 years ago

The only things that clank are valves and connecting rods. I will assume that you have the proper oil level. It's time to have someone look at the mower, or buy a good used one.

• hilmav
    13 years ago

FIXED it with a SIMPLE method. After 3 days of frustration. Briggs and Stratton engine (probably one of the cheapest).

As you say runs a for just a few seconds after priming. Fuel filter okay, changed gas, etc.

What I did, primed it, started it. When it was running I primed it again. Before it could die, I primed it again. I did this 5 or 6 times. After that, it ran on its own and I was able to mow the lawn.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Himav: Great to Hear you fixed your Problem....So What Was it to Begin With Roflmbo !

• tofino
    13 years ago

I have the same problem with a model 917.377822 -- a Briggs and Stratton 7.0 Hp engine. It's run very well for three years, and I've kept it maintained. Oil levels OK and air filter clean. But now after running for a few seconds it dies.

I've tried hilmay's re-priming trick, and as long as the primer is permanently pressed in it runs. But after letting the primer go the engine still dies. I've done this a dozen times.

So, any suggestions about next steps? I'd be happy to take the carb apart and clean it. But the manual isn't helpful in that regard, nor is the schematic that Craftsman posts. Not sure where to start in that disassembly. Is there a better diagram somewhere, and can anyone walk me through the steps? Thanks.

• henrygeorge
    13 years ago

i had the mower running poorly once with a badly clogged air filter. i took it off to clean it. i spilled gas on it (i think i had it next to the mower when i was adding gas in it). i had it cranked without the air filter and it ran great. i would put the air filter back in and the mower would cut off. air filter should always be checked first since it is the easiest to check.

• bncourter
    13 years ago

I have craftsman lawnmower model 917374801 with a honda engine the fuel floods my air breather has anyone have a solution to this problem

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Sticking fuel inlet valve or float within the carburator . Give the float bowl a tap with a plastic screw driver handle . If this does not solve remove the float bowl and check internals .

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

OMG. This thread just gets worse and worse. What we need is the return of the Pulsa-Jet carbs!

• tpond76_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Had the same problem getting started this season with my craftsman 22" 4.75HP mower -- changed oil and air filter, mower would start but immediately die. I took the screw out of the carbuerator and cleaned the three very small holes with water and a rag, blew air through the holes to make sure they were clear. When I put it back together, it fired right up and worked as normal.

• janendram_ymail_com
    12 years ago

Model # 917 386620
    Serial # 091996M 009431
    4.0 HP
    20 Inch

change the Spark plug and change fuel, but still won't start.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Roflmbo , bring on the Pulsa - Jet lol .

• polkmike
    12 years ago

Jay (and anyone else finding this thread w/ the same problem):
    Most complete set of videos taking you step-by-step thru Tecumseh carb cleaning : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1DVEHKNFg&feature=related
    If after you've done his steps and mower still fires then stalls within a couple seconds, as mine continued to do, then either clamp or tie or bungie-cord that 'dead-mans' lever so when you pull the cord you can quickly scoot around to that bulb on the carb, continue pushinging that while holding the throttle open to increase revs for 10 -15 seconds while it warms. That does the trick here.

• jen_miakodadesign_com
    12 years ago

I was having a similar issue: The lawnmower (Craftsman 917.372852) would start then immediately die... however, if I held down the primer button it would continue to run. I tried several things mentioned here and in other forums... though never replaced any parts (other than the spark plug). Today, I tightened the tension screw (for the switch allowing the engine to run faster or slower) above the primer button and it ran and continued to run! The engine is running a little fast and sometimes dies due to tall, damp grass (I live in the N.W. and it's Spring!); but it starts again with no problem!!!
    So far it seems to running fine! I plan on replacing the air filter and filling the tank with fresh gas before the next mow... hopefully this will completely resolve all issues. :)
    **Thank you John_2006 for mentioning the flathead screw around the primer button... I would have never tried tightening it if I hadn't read your post. :)**

• mykal240_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I just fixed mine not even 5 mins ago. I took carb off drained all the gas. Then I took off fuel line. Sprayed solvent cleaner in tank to clean it out. Took apart carb (it is not hard to do) took out o rings. Then cleaned out all the jets with carb cleaner. The bolt on the bottom of the carb bowl has 3 holes in it. 2 on the side 1 on top. The one on top had something in it. I took a wire out of a trash bag tie and got it out. Then I soaked the bolt in carb cleaner (take the black gasket off before soaking). Then cleaned all o rings and put them back in. Put carb back on. Filled up with new gas (from a clean gas can). Runs like new cut the grass not one problem. It will only take you about a hour to do this if you have never done one before. You can get carb cleaner and solvent cleaner at any auto parts store.
    Tools I needed for job were-
    1 Pick (to make sure jets were clear, and clean them)
    2 Trash bag tie
    3 1/4 ratchet
    4 1/4 inch socket
    5 8 mm socket
    6 10 mm socket
    7 13 mm socket
    8 Flat head screw driver
    9 Phillips head screw driver
    10 Needle nose pliers
    11 1/4 extension
    12 Solvent cleaner
    13 Carb cleaner
    Its not hard and not worth paying someone to do for you. Good luck I hope this can help some of you with your problems. Fill free to email me if you have a ?. I am not a expert on mowers. But maybe I could help you with yours.

• sheafe_ewing_astound_net
    12 years ago

My Craftsman 3 in 1 lawn mower has a 6 HP engine.
    I'm having the same problem with carburetor related
    start then die behavior.

I don't see identification as to the make of engine.
    Did Craftsman produce their own? I would think Tecumseh,
    or Briggs and Stratton, but cannot find ID.

? ? ?

• eaturner_cox_net
    12 years ago

I was able to fix mine by just taking the main jet (bolt in bottom of carb bowl) off and soaking in carb cleaner. Put it back on and whalla, runs like new. No new float, no pins, didn't even take the carb off the mower.

• 5hpbriggsbuilder
    12 years ago

Here is a great video i found on YouTube for the craftsman carb. Go to YouTube and type in the search -Tecumseh composite machined mower carb rebuild. There is a part 1 and part 2 of this video. I found it to be helpful. Fought my rotten Craftsman mower and used the info from this video and no more problems.

• churbone_netzero_net
    12 years ago

What I need to do?

• wwagn_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I have a craftsman mower as many of you have already discussed, it has the aluminum housing and composite bowl. The mower is hard to start as if the primer does not work and after I do get it started it has a miss as though the engine is speeding up and slowing down at a fast pace. I have some mechanical experience but this one has me stumped. I have replaced the composite bowl, primer, gas line, spark plug and removered the aluminum part of the carbuator and cleaned it completely and verified all openings are clear, removed the gas tank cleaned completely and put in fresh gas. I can spray small shots of carb cleaner into the carb and the engine will smooth out for a few seconds the start to miss again. Does anyone have more ideas.

• amlar
    12 years ago

I just had this problem on my Craftsman with a Briggs 6.75 HP engine. I brought it to a shop who cleaned the carb and told me that there was a problem with the gasket between the air filter and the carb which he attempted to fix with some sealant. $65 later I started it up and made one pass when the engine stopped and I could not get it started again. I had bought a replacement part at his suggestion which is the "air cleaner base". It was $19.20 at Sears. When I took the base off I noticed that his sealant had completely failed and the gasket was now in 3 pieces. I put on the new part in under 30 seconds, put the three screws back on and tried again. It stopped and started twice, but on the third try it stayed on and I mowed my whole yard. This piece comes with the primer attached to it. Not sure if this will help everyone but for under $20 and less than 5 minutes total to do the work it might be worth a try. I wish I had known this a week ago. Good luck to all

• devin1525_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

This happen to me and it sounds like the float in the carb could be stuck open

• RevRon
    12 years ago

I got the same problem as well. Thanks! So I started to clean my carburetor and a screw fell to the floor. It is about an inch long and comes to a point on one end. The other end has a head with a groove (looks like it would hold a spring). Anyone know what this is for and where I should put it? thanks in advance!!

• manasquan_jim
    12 years ago

I'd like to keep this thread alive by saying I have a 22" Crafstman mower with 6HP Briggs & Stratton that I purchased 15 years ago. I have done NOTHING except fill it up with gas and cut grass, time after time. Maybe topped off the oil once. Also,when having trouble starting, I take sand paper to the spark plug to get rid of the carbon.
    Anyways, she finally died with the symptoms as everybody else on the thread. I already took most the mower apart including cylinder head which revealed gouges in the cylinder wall and should still start, but with smoke.
    With the advice on this thread, I will spray out the carb with cleaner and make sure everything is moving OK.
    Hopefully I can keep this guy going a little longer, but I'm not holding my breath.

• jeffamack_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Just wanted to post something to say that this forum/thread solved my problem, even though I do not have a Craftsman lawnmower.

I have a 8 year Troy-Bilt mower, that has slowly started to run rougher over time and eventually failed to stay running in the past few weeks. I could only keep it running 2-3 minutes at a time if I held the primer button in 1/4 of the way.

After seeing these posts, I checked the carb bowl (where the fuel float is contained) and cleaned out the bottom bolt, and the debris in the bottom cup. When I put it back together and restarted it, it ran like it was new from the store. I had zero issue with it for the next hour as I (dare I say) happily mowed my lawn without any problems.

I then went to Lowes and bought a inline filter (mower did not originally have one) to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

-jam

• mhenricks_austin_rr_com
    12 years ago

I had same problem with immediate shutdown after starting. Replaced spark plug, air filter and gasoline with no change. Removed brass bolt from bottom of carb and squirted carb cleaner in all holes. Replaced brass bolt and it started right up and ran perfectly. Thanks.

• flora2
    12 years ago

I wish I could help on this but I am so lost. My Craftsman Model 917.384030 starts OK but the blades do not engage so it does not cut. Any solutions? I'd really appreciate your help.

• zorcy_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

My Eager-1 6.75 HP mulch/bag is hard to prime, but will run easily after I get it going. Not much for RPM, and will stall on any heavy grass. With 6.75 HP, I would think it would cut thru rock. The blade is sharp, but I will try to sharpen it some more tonight. She leaks oil like a sieve. Think I will have to change out the gaskets. Suppose I will need a complete kit. Has never had the oil changed, figures, right? I think I will customize the kill switch with a button and take the spring off. I always that the handle was overkill. I need to recover some power and increase the RPM. I know the air filter is bad, so add that. The spark is very light and weak. any ideas to help this stay alive?

• bsalai_rochester_rr_com
    12 years ago

My problem is a little different. The engine starts ok in the garage, and runs fine on the level, but point it downhill and it stalls after just a few seconds. It will cut fine going up hill, or backing down hill, but the neighbors are laughing at me.
    Any ideas?

• johnnydow
    11 years ago

I hope this helps someone. I installed the bowl kit for my Tecumseh 6.75 hp lawn mower engine. I can't understand why a short list of instructions couldn't be included. After installing it, it still wouldn't run, so I took it apart again. Gas draining through the filter housing made me look at the float. The kit when sent doesn't have the pin to hold the float in place installed. It came out of the zip lock bag the parts came in and was loose in the box. After seeing the place for a pin in the bowl and no pin I looked in the box and found it. After that put it back together and it runs like new.

• tedroonio
    11 years ago

TRY THIS FIRST:
    To solve this problem, all I did was remove the air filter and spray Carb Cleaner with the motor running. A puff of black smoke came out, and no more motor stalling problems.
    Also, I used a stiff brush to clean out the grass sludge from around the carb so that the throttle moves freely.

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

BUMPITY BUMP BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

FOR REAL BUMP THIS....

• emndog
    9 years ago

I have a Craftsman model #917378060 with a Briggs & Stratton engine. Won't run unless I feed it fuel by pressing the prime button.

Haven't taken apart engines, but I'm handy and can figure things out. My questions are 1) what is the best source for a manual, and 2) what is the source for the parts you all reference in this thread?

Thanks for your help to this novice!

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

searspartsdirect.com

Remove the "Brass Nut" holding the carburetor bowl on.
    That's your Main Jet.
    Clean ALL the tiny holes in it with a fine wire like a wire tie from a loaf of bread.

You can go to the Briggs website and get an engine OM & IPL.

• JohnPaul505
    9 years ago

I too have a mower 6.75 B&S it dies when I go down hill.Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

• jtbinc25
    8 years ago

I was getting a lot of info from this forum and you just disappeared July 23, 2014. WHAT HAPPENED? Did everybody go and buy a herd of goats?

• Ray LaFrance
    8 years ago

Before finding this webpage I had already replaced
    the lower part of my carburetor. I have the Model # 143986516 CRAFTSMAN Lawn
    mower. After replacing the bowl (this one has the plastic bowl with the wire
    that swings beneath it to lock it in place) and the fuel line, I was still
    having the issue of the engine starting running for a few seconds and then
    stopping. After reading all of the comments it seems like the common
    denominator is that something is crudding up the flow of gas. I decided to keep
    priming it and running it and letting it die until it finally started to show
    some life after 15 or so tries. After roughly 25 tries it finally began to run,
    although very choppy. I simply let it keep running and it ran smoother the
    longer it ran. I mowed the grass and by the time I was done the engine was
    running smoothly and all of the gas had been used up. I flushed out the gas
    tank a few times with fresh gas, filled up the tank and now it runs fine. Don't give up!

• lhwall50
    8 years ago

I have a brand new Honda self propelled mower gcv 190. Started it up today and it was running sluggish and puffing black smoke. Took the air filter off and it runs like a charm. Our it back on sputter and black puffs. I'm not a mechanic. Can anyone give me some hints. Damsel in distress.

• upup_and_away
    8 years ago

Tecumseh with plastic bowl - if it is flooding, at the bottom of the bowl on the side is a screw. Remove that and inside is a plastic piece, this meters the flow of fuel and if missing can explain flooding. Also carb is extruded aluminum and there is a small hole drilled in it for the bowl to breath, that could be the other cause. Lastly dirt is holding the carb needle open- hold the carb bowl in your hand off the carb and let the gas flow in and see if the bowl overflows while outside the carb.
    If it only runs for a sec, upon removing the screw from the bowl the plastic piece inside - get a drill and drill it just a hair larger - so far this personaly worked for me 3 for 3 of these. Do this after trying cleaning it out the same piece with a paperclip.

Sorry all if parts of my post are a repeat.

ihwall50- black smoke, too much gas from dirty air filter, try banging the filter on the street curb knocking dirt loose and try again. if it improves, get a new filter.

• Chuck Hollerich
    8 years ago

Just fixed mine its an eager 1 6 HP.cleaned carb and blew it out with air comp. Still doing it after I put it back together so I loosened the tank cap pulled the fuel line and blew air through the line runs great now

• John Fulton
    8 years ago

After taking the carb off my (4.75HP Briggs) mower too many times to count and after trying all the suggestions above I finally think I hit on the fix for my problem. The mower was free (came with the house) and didn't have a gas cap. The only one I could find was for a two cycle engine with information for mixed gas. That's not a problem and although it appears to be a vented cap when I loosened it the darn mower ran like a champ and I cut the neighbors yard without a problem. At one point I did lose the cap because I didn't tighten it down enough to keep it from vibrating off. I found it and put it back on a little tighter and it ran. So, I think my problem may be that the gas can't get to the carb because of the vacuum in the tank. At least that's what I'm hoping it is because I've tried everything else several times. Why is it that the little simple thing can cause such a big problem?

• mjflanag51
    7 years ago

My mower almost started and then cut out. OMG FML I finally fixed it. I put up with using a junk mower for a whole season before I figured this out. Simple fix to a fatal manufacturing flaw. My governor spring was loose. Simply pull metal tab at front of the mower where the spring attaches. Here is the video that'll show you how to fix it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EVIZtyw3rm4

I tried everything before I figured this out. Spark plug, gas flush, air filter, carb cleaner etc. Try this before you take your mower apart.