Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How deep to plant-need another answer, pls

Posted by michel7 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 11:18

Last time I asked this, I only got one answer telling me to put it in water, but I know from this forum it grows better in soil. Since the roots are only at the tip of the cut end, I'm afraid as it grows taller it will not be stable and the weight of the top will cause it to fall over. Can I put another (unrooted) joint of cane underground and will it root from this joint, or will it rot?? How have others moved from water to soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How deep to plant-need another answer, pls

you can plant it in soil, the roots should be about
a half inch to an inch into the soil. If the bamboo does not
have roots yet place it in a cup with a small amount of water.
wait for roots to appear before placing it in soil. Always
cut the tips of lucky bamboo at least twice a year, this
keeps them from getting leggy, and grows thicker. One thing
about Lucky Bamboo, they don't like the water level higher
than their roots, otherwise they rot. If you keep them in
water instead of soil, they need to be feed African Violet food.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor Greenhouse

o
RE: How deep to plant-need another answer, pls

Hi, In august of 07 i moved my LB from water to soil. I first planted the roots deep in soil and made a bed of rocks at the bottom for drainage. Unfortunately my plant started dying and one leaf actually fell off!. So i changed the soil to a reg potting soil with timed-released food and just mixed the rocks in the soil and this worked better. i didn't plant the LB too deep in soil either, i kept it real shallow, only the roots were in soil. The plant at first was a bit flimsy, looked as if it were tipping over, but over time when the soil settled the plant seems more stable. Its doing very well now, all the stalks have grown new sprouts and new green leaves are growing. good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here