Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmfinn_gw

Root Jelly

jmfinn
17 years ago

3 days ago I bought what I thought were stalks of real bamboo for a fifth grade lesson on plants. Little did I know that I was 'bamboo'zled and instead purchased 3 stalks of lucky bamboo. But I have to say the little suckers are growing on me and my students.

After reading up on how to best care for them I decided to remove them from the pretty ceramic pot with pretty pebbles stuck (glued?) together and transplant them to a more suitable pot for growth and care. I was pretty peeved when I found out that underneath those pretty looking pebbles were styrofoam pieces, gross looking rocks, and what I can only guess is some type of fungus completely covering the roots of our new classroom mascot.

It's a milky colored jelly like substance and I'm guessing it's a foreboding sign of our new plants immenent death. I don't know if it smells because i'm not putting my nose anywere near the gunk and i've quarentined the plant from my students. The stalks seem to be green enough, one of the stems and it's leaf are pretty yellow so I might cut it off if it gets worse, some tips of the leafs are also dried out as well. Nothing near as serious as you'd think a fungus would do so there might still be time.

Is my plant doomed or am I just a novice green-thumb who's mistaking some type of gooey fertelizer for a deadly fungus? And if I can save it how would I do so? (That would make for an amazing classroom experience by the way so all tips are greatly appreciated.)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner