Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are the red bumps on my bamboo stalks??

Posted by TCL123 New York (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 22:19

I have had my bamboo arrangement for about 4 years. I know all the proper care information. I can't find my answers though!!!!!

I have red/orange/ rust colored "bumps" on my stalks. I thought it may be scale, new roots trying to form, or oedema from my research. I am VERY frustrated because I cannot find anything like it in images.

These "bumps" are on undersides of stalks and go all the way up to the leaves and some have the appearance of new orange roots.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are the red bumps on my bamboo stalks??

Are you able to include a pic?

o

Trying to post a pic. A little hard to see well

o

Another pic

o

Compare to pics of scale insects to see if you think that's what it is. There are many different scales, I can't tell for sure from these pics. Maybe someone else with more experience with scale would know by looking at these pics.

It's hard to judge soil by a pic, but it looks really dense, heavy, airless. If so, that would make it much more difficult for roots to function and stay alive.

o

I agree with purple, it looks like scale to me also, you could wash with a very mild dish soap and re-pot with new soil. Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here