Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigadeleo

Lucky Bamboo - switch from water to soil -- unsuccessful :(

gigadeleo
12 years ago

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with my not-so-lucky bamboo problem.

My bamboos have been thriving & growing in water for a couple of years. I've recently tried to re-pot in soil, none of the three attempts worked. Every time I do this, the stalk turns yellow and mushy, the bamboo dies off in less than 2 weeks.

Evidently I'm doing something inherently wrong, but I have no clue what it might be. Can anyone provide me with some guidelines on the initial process for potting bamboos in soil?

Comments (8)

• irishoday
    12 years ago

I am curious about this also. Please can anyone answer?
    Cheryl

• Lbamboo101
    11 years ago

Lucky Bamboo that have spent their whole lives in water may reject soil. Not sure why. Also, my experience is that healthy plants make this transition better than distressed plants. If you want to grow in soil you may want to start with new individual stalks that have not spent years in a rock and water arangement.

Make sure you use a container that drains. Start by packing potting soil(I use Miracle Grow Moisture Control) in the bottom of the container leaving about 3.5 inches of space to the top. Set your plants root system on top of this layer. Do not push the root system into the soil. This will make the roots point up. Roots want to grow down. Then pack another 3 inches or so of soil on top of the root system. Lucky Bamboo like packed soil. Keep the soil moist but not saturated with water for extended periods of time. Some drops of Green Green fertilizer may help. Sand helps drainage as well as a layer of rocks at the bottom.

Good Luck

• HiddenWalrus
    11 years ago

I have successfully transplanted water-grown plants into soil twice without problems. i have also rooted rootless shoots in soil easily. I just keep the soil moist.

They do not seem to care what they're in, either. One of mine is in dirt from the yard (clay and silt, really) and another is in Miracle Grow Cactus soil. Both grow equally well and both came from water. One was bought in an arrangement and immediately put in soil. The other grew in an aquarium for 3 months before potting up. Just keep them damp and mine do fine.

• Es.Cis
    11 years ago

Thank you for the answers, I too have this problem with my bamboo. It's been about a week since I switch it from water to soil and I noticed some of the leaves turned yellow.
    I don't want it to die, would you guys advice to move it back to water?

• Pachipala Sravanthi
    8 years ago

I too have a prblm abt my bamboo.six months onwards i placed it in water.but, now some green stems bocomes yellowish, after few days it will becomes dry.I dont want it to die, Idont no actually what happens,would u guys pls give advice to save my bamboo.

• Pat Harper
    7 years ago

I have switched out 45 lucky bamboo from water to soil.......they are doing fine....they grow faster and bigger......I have 1 that is 5 feet tall.....

• HU-220219376
    3 years ago

From my experience the plants that I have grown or rooted in water and switched to soil where much less stressed when eased into those conditions. I used an organic potting mix so that way theres no fertilizer present that could burn the roots. And every couple of days I'd add a scoop of soil and replace the stones with the soil up until the lowest third of the rootball at which point I then transplant to a new pot with the sae soil and keep the soil slightly moist like you would with most houseplants

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals