Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckymike_gw

Lucky Bamboo Info

luckymike
15 years ago

So I got some lucky bamboo today and I have some questions:

1.I can see a gel-like polymer mixed in with the rocks in the vase. Should I take that gel out?

2.How much water should be in the vase at any time?

3. To propegate, can the leafy growths on the side be cut as well?

4.When propegating the main stalk, should the top of the already rooted stalk be sealed?

5.Will new leafy growths (shoots?) grow from the main stalk randomly or only in certain places?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• luckymike
    Original Author
    15 years ago

2 more questions:

6.I have 2 stalk that have no shoots. How do i encourage new shoots?

7.Will the stalks that have no shoots grow shoots by themselves, just grow up, or not grow at all?
    thanks again

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

1. If your bamboo is growing well in a gel, you can leave it that way. If there is any problem with the bamboo, you may consider removing the gel.

2. If you are growing your lucky bamboo in water, continue to keep the vase full. Never let the lucky bamboo dry out. As long as the roots are kept moist in water, everything should be fine. A little drop in the water level should not hurt anything.

3. Any part of the plant can be cut, dipped in plant hormone and rooted into another plant.

4. It is not necessary to seal the cut stem. You can if it is your preference.

5. To me, the growth of stalks from the sides seem a little bit random. Although they do tend to come from around the top of the plant closest to the edge of the cut.

6. I am unsure what your stalks look like. Is it growing upward and never cut? Cutting the top of the stalk encourages shoots.

7. I have a stalk with no top cut that just grows straight up without ever producing a side stalk.

• luckymike
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Above it says 'any part' of the plant can be rooted. It is not unheard of but rarely can leaves of plants be rooted.

Can the leaves of lucky bamboo be rooted?

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

I never rooted a lucky bamboo from a leaf nor have I seen it done. That does not mean it is not possible. It may be possible, but I am unsure about that. You can always try it! I have rooted a variety of plants from a leaf. However, with lucky bamboo I always use a part of the stem or a shoot.

• page_dennis
    14 years ago

Help!!

I just got a lucky bamboo plant yesterday and have no idea what I am doing. I have been wanting one forever and finally got one, now all the information I am reading- sounds like my plant is gonna die on me.

It's in a 4-5 inch colored glass container with pebbles and some type of jelly stuff in it. The pebbles reach to just about a 1/4 of an inch from the top of the container.. I have 3 stalks, but one of the stalks is yellow down to about the first notch in it. All three stalks have the leaves growing on the top.. Can someone help me with some information that can help me make it grow?

What is this jelly stuff? Should i keep it?

What's with the yellow stalk? Should I cut it off?

Is there any way to make a new stalk grow?

How do these things grow? Up? or do they just stay green and the same length?

How about watering it? I found info that said to keep it at just about the level of the pebbles, but other said that only water it where you want roots to grow..?

Any information is good, please and thanks!!!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/jusanobody/Acutal_photos/SANY0344.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/jusanobody/Acutal_photos/SANY0345.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sanjuliko
    14 years ago

Hi. My friend gave me this small decorative pot of bamboo last year but i'm not quite sure if it is the lucky bamboo. How can I find out whether it is a lucky bamboo or not?

And because one of my assignments in an english class was to bring in a plant and take care of it that whole year, I chose this plant. I watered it a few times per week and clean its leaves. And it's grown quite a bit. However, it stopped growing after a while. I think it's because the pot is too small. It's roots have even grown out of the pot! (This a=is a bamboo grown in just water by the way). Now that it is the end of the year, I can take it home again. However, I think it is best to transfer the plant to a much larger pot. But I am extremely new to taking care of plants. So I don't know how to do it without harming the plant. It also seems like it would damage the roots if I force it out since its roots have pretty much grown into the shape of the pot...

Another problem is that I want to transfer it into a pot with just water. I really don't think I'm ready for a soil plant. I have absolutely no knowledge of soil quality or anything like that.

I really don't know what to do or how to do it. This plant means a lot to me. I really don't want it to die. The way its roots are is really bothering me. It's pretty much upright, not down like most roots are. No room at all.

Can someone please enlighten me to the techniques of transferring this bamboo and the methods of taking care of it such as amount of water and sunlight.

Thank you very very much.

• evonnestoryteller
    14 years ago

You can click on the photos at the link to see if your plant looks like any of the lucky bamboo in the gallery in Plantfiles.

Lucky Bamboo tend to do ok a little root bound, so if your plant has just started to get a little crowded in the pot, it should be ok.

You can ease the plant out of the container it is currently in. Do it as carefully as possible so you break as few roots as possible. It is likely that you will break some roots, but as long as the plant has plenty of roots, it should be fine.

You would not want to transfer it to a pot that is a lot larger, because you want the plant to be supported somewhat upright--mostly for looks. The sides of the pot tend to hold the plants in that straight up position.

After the transition, you may wish to consider giving your plant the lightest possible feeding of fertilizer. Some sort of plant food in the water will give the plant some nutrition. They can do ok for awhile without it, but then they start to show signs of lacking nutrition such as not growing.

Wait for a couple of weeks before feeding the plant to give it some time to get over the transition.

Best wishes for a very lucky bamboo!

Here is a link that might be useful: PlantFiles Lucky Bamboo Gallery

Sponsored