Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flower? Root? Leaf?

Posted by ck5585 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 14:31

Hi, I have been lurking for several months. Now finally came a point where I have a question regarding my "lucky bamboo". I bought this on a clearance rack several years ago when it was half dead and about 4 inches tall. Since then I repotted it in some fast draining soil. It has since reached about 3-3 1/2 feet tall. The other day as I was admiring the growth, I noticed a little nodule growing from the side of one of the stalks. It is growing very slowly compared to the leaf growth. I am just curios as to what it may be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flower? Root? Leaf?

Here is a picture of the nodule

o

growth of a secondary branch coming from the main stalk maybe? Keep me posted I would like to see what it turns into!

o

So you potted it and it did well. My kids have lucky bamboos, one each and they are growing so well, I guess they like it in our home. I was thinking about potting them but I have read that others' potted lucky bamboos died after potting. What would be your advice?
Thank you.

Mima

o

Avery, Thank you! I will keep you updated. Not much growth as of yet.

Sago, when I bought mine it was in rocks and water. I was changing water every few days since my cats were knocking it over. I got tired of that and potted it in about 75% perlite and 25% cactus soil since that was all I had available at the time. It took off growing within weeks. I had it growing in a south, south west facing window. Because I picked it up off a clearance rack I wasn't too worried that it would make it. I actually had my parents pot theirs in soil a few weeks ago and theirs is starting to take off too. Theirs has been in water for years. If it were mine, if they stalks were healthy I would maybe try potting one in soil and see how it turns out. I wouldn't want the kids to be upset if both went downhill after potting them. Maybe take the larger one if there is one. Just a thought!

o

They are both the same size, it seems they grow at the same rate although they are kept in different rooms. I will take some pic today and post them here.
Thanks so much for the advice ck5585!

o

Hi, now what you have there is a is a new shoot. Once it grows about 10-15 cm you can cut it of to create a new lucky bamboo plant. To make the shoot grow faster spray the plant with FILTERED water.

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here