Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weetoots

Help! Stem turning yellow

weetoots
15 years ago

These have been doing great for a long time. Now the stems

are turning yellow. What do I do to fix it?

Thanks.

Al

Comments (18)

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

There are a lot of reasons a lucky bamboo may start to yellow. Too much fertilizer, chemicals in the water, a change in environment (air conditioner, too much sun, etc.). Take a look at this message string to see if you can find anything that helps you:

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Is Lucky Bamboo Turning Yellow?

• weetoots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I drained the tap water and put some distilled in.

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

You are welcome! Let us know if your plant improves!

• wendy99
    15 years ago

I have had a 5 stem lucky bamboo for about a year with no problems. I only use distilled water. Over the last 1-2 weeks, one of the stems has started turning yellow from the tip and is working its way down, but the leaves on that stem are completely green and healthy looking. One thing of note is that I accidently forgot to water it for about 4-6 weeks and it was dry as a bone when I added more distilled water. It was a few days after adding water again that the yellow starting happening on the one stem. Anyone know why this would be happening and what I can do to stop it? Can the yellowing be reversed or is this section of the stem gone at this point? Thanks!

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

If you have ruled out the water, fertilizer and excess light/sun, perhaps the long dry period was a bit much for the plant. Are there any signs of a pathogen going to work on the stem such as moldy or sticky areas? Are there white marks anywhere on the plant? Does the stalk appear to be wrinkling or getting mushy?

Sometimes a stalk simply starts to die. It usually turns yellow from the leaves and top down when this happens though. If so, you may want to remove the yellowed stem and replace it with another healthy stem.

• vallabhiparikh_gmail_com
    12 years ago

My Plant stalk appear to be wrinkling and getting mushy. The whole plant is yellow except for 2 to 3 inches of roots. How to save my lucky bamboo

• yukunerk
    11 years ago

I've just changed the water to distilled. I think I have caught it in enough time to save it. The tip of one of my 4 stalks began to turn yellow. Is it expected to turn back to green? Or should I cut the yellow portion off?

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

You know I been growing these plants all types sense they came out and sometimes I just wonder if they just get old and die because I have some in water, some in soil ad some arranged type kind from 3 inch to some up to 8 foot. and I ave never saw one of my curly ones only last for around 4-5 years what do you all think? I have ruled out soil, and in water to long I just think there life span has different years to live.
    Just a thought. I wondered how old some of you other posters hum is that a correct way to say that? anyway I just thought it would be nice to see how long they live from the time before it dies from the time you bought it if healthy then just turn yellow or fall over. To me the curly ones do not live as long. Just my opinion.

• IGER
    11 years ago

Other peoplw talk of the stem going yellow from the top down. Mine has gone yellow from the bottom up. Only the top 3 inches or so looks 'normal'. What can I do??

• mimalf
    11 years ago

I know this is an old thread, buy I have the same question about the stem turning yellow, and this after only 1 week of having them. Used only bottled water, they weren't placed in direct sun but rather in shade, leaves are strong and green. What could it be? Can they be saved? Would they be better potted? They are currently in water in their little ceramic vases they came in.

I would upload some pics but I only have 1 place to input the URL link into the message.

• variegatednancy1
    10 years ago

I visited an Asian store and the seller said to cut off the yellow part and restart in fresh water.
    See Youtube for instructions.
    Nancy

• bragu_DSM 5
    7 years ago

bump

• Leanne Davis
    7 years ago

My bamboo leaves are yellow on one plant..I changed the water to filtered water. What can I do?

• Sans2014
    7 years ago

what was the water like when you drained it? was is smelly or scummy? You might try adding 1/4 (or less) liquid fertilizer just once and see if the plant perks up. What kind of light are you giving it?

• Alex Engel
    6 years ago

Hi,

Im not sure if this has already been answered but, my bamboo stalk is yellow from the bottom growing up, can i save the top half? I know its not from watering it for a while as nothing else has changed.

I have attached a photo as well.

• Sans2014
    6 years ago

you should be able to root a top cutting.

• heffleyrm
    6 years ago

to save bamboo...cut off all yellow leaves and pull off stems of yellow, do not remove from container but take container to faucet drain all water and then fill up with tap water and pour out again and again until you cannot smell the foul water, then next day drain water and give new water and make sure to get the leaves wet, and every day keep doing the same until no foul smell come from container. I have saved my plant with this method, it took about 20 days for the smell to go away; just keep pouring out the stale water and replace with new tap water every day; I did not use any other water but tap; i just wanted to wash away the disease like rain would in the dark, tropical rainforests of Southeast Asia and Africa where the original plant might have been harvest.