Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dying lucky bamboo

Posted by Puchinita5 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 1:26

A girl I work with asked me to watch a bunch of her plants while she is away for a few weeks. All of her plants are doing fine except for a lucky bamboo she gave me.

It was actually two lucky bamboo, about 3-4 feet tall and it curves into a spiral at the top with a shoot of leaves coming out at the top if both plants. There is also a shoot of leaves coming out of the very base of each plant as well.

When I received the lucky bamboo, one was green and healthy, the other was completely yellow except for about 1 inch above the root as well as the bottom shoot of leaves which are green. But 1 inch out of the 3 or 4 feet that is this plant is not much green!

I noticed they barely had water in the giant vase she put them in, so I filled it with filtered water and put the plant in an area without direct sunlight since I figured the yellow meant it was getting too much sunlight.

Now, the yellow bamboo is brown and mushy in certain parts. The bottom green part is still there, but so much seems to have rotted. The top shoot of leaves which used to be yellow but still a healthy yellow are now wilted too.

I'm wondering if there is anything I could do. If it were my plant I would probably just throw it away or maybe just save the little green part and see if that keeps growing. But since it is NOT my plant, I feel awkward having to tell her it is doing so poorly.

Is there anything I could do to save this plant? Or is it pretty much done for?

If it was completely yellow when I got it except for the little green part at the bottom, was it already dying? Or did I kill it somehow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dying lucky bamboo

Sounds to me like she gave you dying lucky bamboo, the mushy one is a goner. I would throw away the other one also. Go out and buy her a new plant, they dont cost that much and you'll make her happy. Taking care of someones plants is a hard job, its like leaving your pets with someone :>)
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here