Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zucchini_gw

Is this the curling Bamboo?

zucchini
17 years ago

If yes, I have a question. I bought one two years ago in a supermarket..I planted it in a pot. It grew and grew, forming long leaves and a few new shoots. I put it outside during the summer and it is doing well. BUT how do I get it to curl? I tried turning it every day or so to see if that would do it? It is tall now with uncurled shoots both above an below the original. Thanks if anyone is on this forum...Martha/zucchini

Comments (15)

• baci
    17 years ago

They probably started with a small shoot & curled it around some sort of stake.

Do you know how this forum came about? It is odd to have a forum for a single plant  did the bamboo forum get mad or something?

• zucchini
    Original Author
    17 years ago

have no idea...but as far as the curl, I remember reading somewhere a while ago,that it did have to do with turning the plant toward the sun..very often and in small turns?
    Maybe there are many varieties of Lucky Bamboo? Martha/zucchini

• rlcollins043
    17 years ago

Lucky Bamboo is not bamboo -- so, questions relating to its care shouldn't be on the Bamboo forum.

• peachiekean
    17 years ago

I heard it's in the Dracaena family. Is this right?

• baci
    17 years ago

I saw a post awhile back where a bamboo forum regular did not want any more questions about lucky bamboo on the bamboo forum. The post suggested a separate forum for just this plant. I thought they were just being sarcastic, but I guess someone made up a forum for it. It may not belong on the bamboo forum, but why a forum for just one plant? I have seen unique varieties of lucky bamboo that were show stoppers at the local swap meet, so there are different varieties. Perhaps someone who knows of the different varieties can explain more.

• jbkidd
    17 years ago

This site may answer your question.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make Bamboo Curl

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

I like mine plain :)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Lucky bamboo is Dracaena sanderiana. There really aren't varieties of it (not that I know of), but simply many different styles. As soon as someone invents another 'look', it's on the market.

Questions regarding this dracaena will continue to come up in the Houseplant forum (where it is appropriate), and I'll send them over here so you can have some business. ;-)

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Dracaena sanderiana has variegated and solid green varieties and that is it.

The curled stems are manually twisted towards the light to make them that way, they do not grow that way naturally.

This plant is NOT a bamboo, not even close, and I can certainly understand the Bamboo forum wanting it to have it's own forum.

This is a common houseplant that has become a fad in a stripped leaf stunted version grown in water and to many, who realize that they are not healthy or normal in this version the "Lucky Bamboo" trend is offensive. NOT the people who buy them or want help growing them but whomever started the trend and named them bamboo.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

baci and buyorsell....I suggest you stay out of the Lucky Bamboo Forum, since this form of culture disturbs you so much. Baci, there are numerous forums here in the Gardenweb devoted to single species, take a look at the list! Though my eyebrows may raise, too, it never occurs to me to enter those forums with criticism.

I do not have any 'Heavenly Bamboo' nor do I ever intend to, but I sure get sick and tired people badgering those that do!

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I never said it disturbed me, I said I understood the folks at the Bamboo forum being disturbed.

BTW, "Heavenly Bamboo" is Nandina, not "Lucky Bamboo" Dracaena or a real Bamboo.

• ooojen
    17 years ago

Well, some people are offended by bonsai, too, but there's a forum of people who love them. Some people go nuts for variegates, and others think variegated plants look sickly.

"This is a common houseplant that has become a fad in a stripped leaf stunted version grown in water and to many, who realize that they are not healthy or normal in this version the "Lucky Bamboo" trend is offensive." does sound a bit critical out of someone frequenting a Forum devoted entirely to these, "unhealthy, abnormal" plants.
    If lucky bamboo is your thing, wonderful! The stuff is very popular, and has brought enjoyment to many, many people.

• mtnwomanbc
    17 years ago

newbie here...thanks for the good info re: water & fertilization on the other posts, since I killed one lucky "bamboo", but now have been given another fairly elaborate one that I really don't want to kill off. :)

The sentiment by some here is that it's plant-abuse to Dracaena to grow it in water, force it to curl, strip its leaves, etc. Does that make hybridizing roses also undesirable because it forces unnatural mating? Along that vein, how about topiary? I'm sure some of those hedges hate looking like gum drops and would prefer to let it all hang out.

I think it's great that there's a forum so specific to this plant and how to care for it.

• naturelover_mtl
    17 years ago

Hi folks, plants in general do not need soil at all to grow and thrive (haven't you heard of hydroculture/hydroponics?) so there is absolutely nothing wrong with growing this Dracaena in water as long as you follow some basic care rules to keep the water clean, which will keep the plant healthy and thriving.

Don't be bothered by negative comments about a hobby that you love and enjoy.

Plant abuse? LOL... Oh come one...LOL... If that was the case, none of us would ever pick up pruning shears again, which is something I'm sure we are all guilty of.

Enjoy your plant! Dracaenas are a wonderful group that are hardy and easy to care for.

• greengreen1
    17 years ago

once before, i accidently forgot to check the water on my lucky bamboo and it got very low, and the stalk began to wrinkle, probably because of the deprivation of water... but that was about 5 to 6 months ago and it is still wrinkled a bit, even though its had enough water on a regulat basis since the incedent. does anyone know hot to get rid of the wrinkles? .....thanks,

Sponsored