Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

How tall will the Dracaena Sanderiana get?

highalttransplant
17 years ago

I just recently purchased one from Wal-Mart to replace a plant that my naughty cat ate, and I was wondering how tall it will get. I am not sure of the name of the plant I had to replace. It was similar in size and shape to a spider plant, but the leaves were thicker, like a succulent. Anyway, it is located on landing to the side of my bathtub, so I don't want something that is going to get too large there. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

I am aware of some over 8' tall. They root easily. If it gets too tall, you can cut it and start over any time. It will grow a new shoot below the cut. The cutting will get roots and you will have 2 plants.

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

I asked this question in another post and did not get an answer, so I hope I can ask it here again.

To propogate do you take the shoots off of the side of the stalk and put them in water. That is what I was thinking.

From what I read in your post it seems that I should cut the stalk and bury it under water?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Don't know the answer to the propagation question. How long does it take to get to that 8' height? As you can see, that would be way too big for this spot.

{{gwi:1033113}}

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

Nice picture, the plants look great!
    Your pot will do for a long while. They do not usually grow that fast.
    You can cut the stalk or new shoots to propogate. The stalk is already rooted, just wait for new shoot/shoots to grow out.
    Put the bottom end of the cutting in water and wait for it to take root. You can also pot it in soil and wait for it to root.
    May your Lucky Bamboo bring you good luck!

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

It would take many years for it to get too big for that location.

As far as propagation, the soft leafy shoots from the stalk generally won't root, you need part of the stalk with a node to root.

• joy4me
    17 years ago

IF you do want to start new plants in the future of this and/or many caned plants! (those in the picture look great and wouldn't need cutting for quite some time.) You would cut the cane horizontally just above one of the "rings". (With a very sharp knife. You don't want to crush the cane or make a ragged cut) From the top part of the cane, cut the small piece off, on an angle, from the original cut to the next ring up (about an inch..give or take) Remove the leaves up to the point that will go into water or soil. A new shoot, sometimes more) will grow from the stem still in the pot. Sometimes a little hormone powder helps rooting to take place. I fyou plant in soil, keep a bit moist, but not wet and use a very well draining soil mixed with extra perlite.

• touch_of_ink_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Dracaena sanderiana is poisonous to housepets (such as cats) though not to people.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia info

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert