Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changing water

Posted by eileen_plants z6ny (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 20, 06 at 21:15

HOw often do you change the water in your lucky bamboo if you are using water instead of soil to grow them? I generally do it once a week. Is this appropriate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changing water

I change mine once a week also :)

o

Hmmm... Never changed the water, just add to it when the level drops. I've had it 6 months or so and so far it's doing fine. I'm sacred to change it now, might shock the poor thing into dieing! LOL The water isn't stinky or especially cloudy. What do you think... should I be brave and change it? It has lots of roots twined around the glass beads.

o

I have had one growing in rocks for several years. I have never changed the water. I just keep the water just below the surface of the rocks.

o

I also have mine growing in water and just top it up when needed. I add fertilizer to my water every now and then for all my houseplants and the bamboo gets the same treatment.

o

I have lucky bamboos in 4 different containers. They are growing in stones and shells. I have never changed the water, but they live in distilled water only. I don't use tap water on them.
Now if I can only stop my cats from eating them!

o

• Posted by phil 5 Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 14, 06 at 21:34

I have had mine 3 years and have never changed the water, It is growing in little rocks and doing fine.
Jussu never let it go dry.
phil

o

Eileen, your dracaena will do better if you DO change it every once in a while. If there isn't plenty of oxygen in the water, new roots will cease to develop. No new roots and you'll have severely stunted plants (which is what some people like for this plant) or even decline.

o

I have to agree with rhizo. Also, if you live where you have fluorinated water or water with chlorine, you might use spring water instead. Some areas use more chemicals than others. When and if you do fertilize, make sure use very, very diluted fertilizer and rarely. Dracaena are not wild about fertilizer!

o

I had grown my regular lucky bamboo for 7 years from the original stalks, and I only changed to the larger pot once. I never changed water while I was growing the plants (these plants do have their lives for not longer 5/6 years).

I am selling the plants for almost 5 years now. I always advise my customers not to move the plants when they are growing well at their home. If you purchased your plant from the good care nursery/seller who clean the container and materials (rocks/marbles) 100%, you should not see any dirt or bacteria in the water for years. I wash the pot/vase thoroughly, and soak the rocks overnight, and rinse them 3 - 4 times the next day before I use them to set up the plants.It does no matter of what kind of water that you use for the plants, they live very healthy if you care a little on the water temperature during the winter.

Hopefully these information could be useful to some one who loves the plants.

o

I change out my water about every three months. I add fresh water once a week with SUPERthrive nutrients and about once a month I Use Leaf Zone aquarium fetilizer. I have had it about 8 years now and still growing strong!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here