Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strwbrryroanpony

New Lucky Bamboo Grower

strwbrryroanpony
16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Hey I just bought a "lucy bamboo" and at the top of the stalks, where they have been cut, they have put wax on it.

If I take the wax off it will grow not die right?

Thanks A Bunch,

Joan

Comments (5)

• luckybamboo
    16 years ago

None of my Lucky Bamboos have wax on the top of the stalks and they are doing perfectly well. Just don't allow the top of the stalk to get wet and they'll be fine :)

• edleigh7
    16 years ago

Leave the wax on, its acting as a sealant

Ed

• janelle27n
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I am new to the whole bamboo thing, and i just have somewhat of a question.. i just bought one back in feb 08 and for the past 2 months it was doing great!
    I been watering it as directed (Once a week)- and all seemed fine, until i took it down for its last watering, (yesterday) I noticed that i now have 2-3 leafs are yellow!! BUT all the rest of the plant, (stalks, and leaves are just fine and green)- i also felt the stalks, and they are solid.. just the yellow leaves are whats of concern to me.
    my house is normally anywhere from 70-73 degrees.. when i water it i used destilled water also as directed.. & i also use green green to help it remain green.. i really have no reason why the leaves would turn yellow if im doing everything right and the rest of the plant seems be healthy..
    I was online looking for answers as to what it maybe from, and all that makes sense to me is that the old leaves are dying back due to the change of weather.. im really looking for answers and or help to try and fix this.. what should i do??

• janelle27n
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I am new to the whole bamboo thing, and i just have somewhat of a question.. i just bought one back in feb 08 and for the past 2 months it was doing great!
    I been watering it as directed (Once a week)- and all seemed fine, until i took it down for its last watering, (yesterday) I noticed that i now have 2-3 leafs are yellow!! BUT all the rest of the plant, (stalks, and leaves are just fine and green)- i also felt the stalks, and they are solid.. just the yellow leaves are whats of concern to me.
    my house is normally anywhere from 70-73 degrees.. when i water it i used destilled water also as directed.. & i also use green green to help it remain green.. i really have no reason why the leaves would turn yellow if im doing everything right and the rest of the plant seems be healthy..
    I was online looking for answers as to what it maybe from, and all that makes sense to me is that the old leaves are dying back due to the change of weather.. im really looking for answers and or help to try and fix this.. what should i do??

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

When harvesting the plant they cut both ends. They put wax on the cut surface, "...to avoid infectious mildews, fungus, rot and loss of precious water in the stalk." The un-waxed end is placed in water with rooting hormone to develop roots.

http://www.espritdeisle.com/about-lucky-bamboo.htm

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz